Issues displaying some aspx pages in IE 9 32-bit, but pages display properly in IE 9 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having issues displaying some aspx pages in IE 9 32-bit, but the same pages display properly in IE 9 64-bit and other browsers (Chrome, etc.). I've deleted temp IE files, cookies, etc., changed the security for the affected sites, and eventually worked down the usual troubleshooting steps to resetting IE to default. No luck. The same thing happens. Run a search on one of the sites I'm having problems with and all that happens is IE displays a blank page. Never had trouble with the sites in the recent past, and it only happens in the 32 bit version of IE 9. 

O/S: Windows 7 Professional

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Friday, August 3, 2012 11:21 PM

Answers

• x64 browsers do not load x86 IE Addons.

for consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the links for your windows and IE versions. Include a link to the website you are having problem with for the MS engineer to troubleshoot for you.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by 网游 - wang'you Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:59 PM
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:04 PM

All replies

• x64 browsers do not load x86 IE Addons.

for consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the links for your windows and IE versions. Include a link to the website you are having problem with for the MS engineer to troubleshoot for you.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by 网游 - wang'you Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:59 PM
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

Just as IE said x64 browsers do not load x86 IE Add-ons, so this issue should be caused by IE 32-bit Add-ons. My suggestion is to run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to troubleshoot the issue.

Also you can follow the article mentioned below:

See: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/webpages-look-incorrect-in-Internet-Explorer

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Thank you for the replies!!

I'm really sorry it took me so long to reply back.

I've tried the no add-ons with IE (32-bit) and no luck.
    The laptop the problem is occurring on belongs to my boss (an attorney.) I recently learned that prior to IE having problems he installed a really old application (from 1999) on the system and tried updating it. Since then the issue I described above started happening. The 2 sites I know of that he has the most problems with are a local gov site and a state gov site. Both use aspx. I was considering uninstalling IE and then re-installing it. Haven't tried it, yet.

S. C. Harris

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:47 PM
  • he's clobbered comctl32.dll/ocx

Rob^_^

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:00 PM
  • I'm surprised he hasn't clobbered the entire system to be honest. hehe

So, should I preceed with the un/re-install of IE, or is it possible to hank a copy of the offended file from another Win 7 system and drop it in on his laptop?

Thanks!

Shawn

S. C. Harris

Friday, August 17, 2012 9:29 PM
  • search for copies of comclt32.dll/ocx on his computer... there should only be one copy in the system32 folder and one in the sysWOW folder. compare the versions that you find on his computer and then find the Clsid entry in the registry to see which version is being pointed to. (I used search for comctl32 in regedit)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6B7E6392-850A-101B-AFC0-4210102A8DA7}

woops... forget that... it (comctl32.dll has dependencies all over the place)

go back and locate copies of the dll installed on his machine....or go to the folder where he has installed the legacy (XP) application and see if there is a local copy in that folder.... and determine its version. mmm... I am not certain about this....you could try

changing the compatibility settings to XP compatibility of the lagacy programs' properties dialog

or

uninstalling it.

or

Install the recent windows updates..... it contains killbits for comctl32... however this may break the legacy app.

or

contact the publisher of the legacy app to see if they have an updated version that has been crafted for Win7 compatibility.

Rob^_^

typically non technical execitives are slack in maintaining PC security... run the appropiate malware and virus detection programs.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:14 PM