none
Server BSOD and loops in reboot after Server 2008 R2 Core installation DL380G6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have purchased a DL380G6 HP server, and updated its bios and firmwares to the latest. Inside the bios i have enabled Virtualization and No-Execute memory on the processors.

After the initial setup of server 2008 core the system reboots automaticly and after that should continue the setup. After this first reboot I get a BSOD and then it restarts again, and again..

The error message is:

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF8000154A65C, 0xFFFFF880021D18F8, 0XFFFFF880021D1150)

I havent been able to find any good info on this.

I have another DL380 G6 with exactly the same firmwares and bios and this one works just fine with core R2.

I found during my troubleshooting attempts that when i disable the No-Execute Memory bit in the BIOS the server works again. This is not a option for me though since I will be installing Hyper-V.

I havent used the smartstart cd of HP but installed a flat windows installation. I did the same on the other server and there it worked just fine.

I have run the diagnostics features of the smartstart cd from HP, but the hardware seems to be fine.

I have also unplugged all hardware parts, extra memory nic HBA etc, but this didnt resolve the issue.

My best guess is this is a hardware related problem, but maybe some of you have seen this problem before?

Microsoft Unified Communications (Dutch) Blog @ www.MsUC.nl
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the description, seems it's a hardware compatibility related problem. I recommend that you concoct HP for more details.

In addition, if possible, it is recommend you to replace the corresponding hardware component one by one with the one on the good DL380 G6 to isolate the problematic component.

By the way, you may try to install the full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 to test whether you get the same symptom.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the description, seems it's a hardware compatibility related problem. I recommend that you concoct HP for more details.

In addition, if possible, it is recommend you to replace the corresponding hardware component one by one with the one on the good DL380 G6 to isolate the problematic component.

By the way, you may try to install the full installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 to test whether you get the same symptom.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Hi there,

I tried but... HP refuses to give support because they dont support Server 2008 R2 on proliant servers yet.. Not untill the proliant support pack 8.30 is released. I have also tried to install Server 2008 (non-r2) on this machine, and for some reason this doesnt give me any problem at all..

Because of the features i'll be missing out on this is not an option for me.
    Microsoft Unified Communications (Dutch) Blog @ www.MsUC.nl
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

It's a pity that HP doesn't support Windows Server 2008 R2 now.

As I mentioned in my last reply, I wan to double check whether you have replace the component in the good compuer to the problematic one to test whether it works. You can also plug the component in the problematic one to the good one to have a test.(This is what I usually did if one computer can work becasue of the hardware problem, most of the time we can isolate the problemaic hardware)

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Friday, August 28, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi All

I have this exact problem now, on a BL460c G1

I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 via the SmartStart CD 8.30

Everyting worked fine UNTIL i went into BIOS to enable Intel Virtualization and the No-execute bit option

Then when booting windows i got the exact BSOD as above.

I belielve really hope that someone has a fix for this, and soon

I have raised the case at in HP support forum.

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

According to the description, it seems that there are some hardware compatibility issue. It is recommended to perform the further research with HP.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Proposed as answer by CJTech Friday, September 18, 2009 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Found this on another BLOG and so far it's working - I'm not using it in production yet:

September 18
    Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V BSOD's after enabling No-Execute and Intel Virtualization
    Hi All

I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on a BL460c G1 via the SmartStart CD 8.30

Everyting worked fine

UNTIL i went into BIOS to enable Intel Virtualization and the No-execute option

Then when booting windows i got this BSOD

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF8000154A65C, 0xFFFFF880021D18F8, 0XFFFFF880021D1150)

HP has an until now only an internal document about this problem. Apparently there should be an registry fix to solve it, but i havnøt been able to get that yet.

What you have to do is:

Go into BIOS and disable the Intel Core C3 State option in BIOS

Then your server boot and Hyper-V is workinge :-)

Hope this will save some of you guys some time

• Proposed as answer by DAtech Saturday, October 3, 2009 5:40 PM
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Many thanks CJTech

Had the same on a ML350G5 after rebooting for install of HyperV on Windows 2008 R2.

Your fix worked a treat
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Thanks, sure did. Proliant DL360G5's. Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:40 PM
  • It is probably unrelated, but since you did say that you have a second DL380G6 server which works fine but not the first one, you may be experiencing a problem which is detailed in this URL:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01955503

I hope this helps!
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:34 PM
  •  

I have a ML370 G5 with Hyper-V installed on the box and got this stop error, while windows was booting, after having to replace the motherbaord.

0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF800025356BC, 0XFFFFF880021DF938, XFFFFF880021DF1A0)

Going into BIOS and disabling the Intel Core C3 State option in BIOS worked for me as well.

• Edited by Caleb44 Monday, November 29, 2010 5:33 PM added info
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:32 PM