Managing Advanced Power Options RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a way to manage the Advanced Power Options throughout my entire fleet. I know in SCCM, you can apply Power Management profiles through a collection, but that does not cover the items in the "Advanced Power Options Menu" on the clients.

Specifically, I am looking to set the "Wireless Adapter Settings>Power Saving Mode" to Maximum Performance on both battery and plugged in, and also need to disable the "USB Settings>USB Selective Suspend Setting" on both battery and plugged in.

So if it can't be done through SCCM like I'm finding, is there a back-way through Group Policy, or editing a Registry Key? I haven't found any information on that aspect of things yet...

Thanks for any help!

Monday, October 29, 2018 5:18 PM

Answers

• Do you only want to manage these two specific settings or do you want to manage the whole power plan on the computer.

1. For managing a power plan, you can create one on a test machine, export it, and then import it on the other machines using the built in command-line utility "powercfg" - more info on it's usage here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options

2. If you want to manage the individual settings on whatever the current active plan is, you shoudl be able to accomplish this using configuration baselines and some custom remediation scripts. It would likely go well beyond the scope of a TechNet forums post, but to get you started the plans are stored in WMI:

Namespace: root\cimv2\power

Win32_PowerPlan (the current available power plans - the one with "true" for "IsActive" is the current plan)
    Win32_PowerSettingDataIndex (the settings across all plans and split between DC (battery) / AC (wall plug)

The two particular GUIDs for the settings you are looking for are:

48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226  (USB selective suspend setting)
    12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a  (Power Saving Mode)

Nathan Ziehnert
    Senior Lead Consultant | Catapult Systems

Blog | @theznerd | LinkedIn

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:41 AM