Windows 7 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• When I chose to purchase this computer I was torn between a unit that was running Vista 64 bit and this computer running Vista 32 bit. I was told by the salesman that Windows 7 was only a 64 bit system so I bought this one thinking I would get a 64 bit OS. I now learn that I only qualify for the Windows 7 32 bit OS. Am I stuck with the 32 bit system?

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:44 AM

Answers

• If you post information about your system (model number if it's a commercial unit like HP or Dell, or CPU and mainboard type if it's a "white box" PC), it may make it possible to tell you whether your hardware supports 64 bit.

The retail upgrade version of Win7 is supposed to include both 32 and 64 bit install media, but I don't know about the OEM upgrade coupon. I expect that it will not, as only the same type supports an upgrade-in-place.

(With Vista, the 64 bit installer wasn't included with the retail upgrade package, except for Vista Ultimate. Microsoft supplied a 64 bit install DVD for a nominal $10 S&H charge. The deal was *not* available for OEM licenses, though.)

If you have 4GB of memory or less, Win7 X86 (32 bit) may be the best choice anyway.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:07 AM