Is there a way to have SteadyState shutdown? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have selected to let SteadyState download and apply the updates for our anti virus, it restarts and brings up a message saying "The system is currently being updated and will be restarted when the updates are complete" when the updates are complete it restarts the computer, this is the stage I want the computer to shut down.

Is there a way to have steady state shut a computer down after updates have been applied instead of restarting? 

I am asking this because I want to leave our machines on at night to update and I want them to shut down and not be on all night.

We are considering using Steady state on our machines and this is the one of the things that has cropped up.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't think there is a way to have SteadyState Shutdown the computer.  You can use the task scheduler to do something, but you would probably have to factor in some install/reboot time in actually scheduling the task to run.  I don't know somehow I think this is probably not the answer your looking for, what I would probably do, is have the BIOS wake the computer sometime in the morning, perhaps 2-3 hours before I would come in, have the updates run than. 

You can also find a microsoft document about setting task manager to shutdown windows here:
    http://www.ask.com/bar?q=schedule+computer+shutdown&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fkb%2F814761

Hope that helps,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023
    • Edited by James Ghiorzi Friday, May 1, 2009 4:00 PM bad grammar
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Thanks for the advice James.

I have tried this and i think the software that we have on our computers is stopping schedule tasks from working.

What are other people doing by the way?
    • Proposed as answer by NonProfitIT Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:44 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:01 PM
  • I have a script I run as a scheduled task to shut them down. The task needs to be run with an account with administrtive privileges. You could run it from your desktop pc (if it stays on all the time) or from a server. Copy this code into a notepad and save as a .bat file extension

rem  Script for remote shutdown lab desktops
    shutdown /m \\lab01 /s /t 120 /c "computer will shutdown in 2 minutes, please save all work immediately"
    shutdown /m \\lab02 /s /t 120 /c "computer will shutdown in 2 minutes, please save all work immediately"

repeat for each pc name replacing lab0x with the name of your networked pcs. you can eliminate the comment if no one will be logged on during that time.
    Use the task scheduler. I find it would not run when I tried to run the file from a mapped location so copy the bat file to the pc you will be running the task from. Be sure to check the task scheduler log file (using the advanced tab) to make sure it is running as expected.

Hope that helps someone.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:51 PM