The cell is read only.You can only modify the data in the data entry cells. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

I am trying my hands on PPS Planning and have followed the steps shown in the training videos.
    The issue I am facing is that when I give assignments, the one who opens it(in this case it is me only) is not able to edit the matrix and the error message displays as

The cell is read only.You can only modify the data in the data entry cells.

I have gone through this link though "http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3603459&SiteID=17"
    but have not succeeded yet.

Please Help.

Rezo
    Friday, September 5, 2008 10:21 AM

Answers

• Current period does not affect what cells are writable. (It may affect what cells are displayed and thus what writable cells are available, but it is not taken into account for the writable region. Also don't forget that the model current period is copied into the assignment instance)

Have you really used all the dimensions in the model? Set all filters to a leaf level? Matched the time hierarchy used in the form with the time memberview chosen for the assignment. All the errors listed so far result from entering data in non-writable cells.

Also you haven't mentioned anything about how you've set security for your user. A very common mistake is to forget to turn the role on for the model after applying all the permission....
    Friday, September 5, 2008 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Rezo,

Can you please check whether your Model's Current Period Setup is falling in between your Cycle definition Period Start and Period End setup?

Thanks,
    Ajay
    Friday, September 5, 2008 11:08 AM
  •  

Thanks for replying Ajay

Yeah I checked and it is fine.

I have taken data entry scope as (1/1/2007 - 12/31/2009).

Cycle as (9/3/2008 - 10/5/2008)

Current period as 9/5/2008

Dimension used

Account - contains only one member

Scenario - contains only one member

Time - as data entry scope [Have a base view as (Year - Qarter)]

As far as roles and security is concerned, it also looks fine.

Now a model simpler than this can not be designed I guess.

I would like to mention that when I create a Form and if I try to enter anything in the matrix cell it gives me an error as

Formula is Not Valid.

I don't know if it is normal or there is some issue in creating a form itself.

In the form I have put account in the column, Scenario in the row and have used time as a filter wherein I have selected a date (9/5/2008).

I would also like to mention that I am new to this planning stuff and I have taken guidance to design a model through the videos present on the website

http://www.microsoft.com/business/performancepoint/resources/training.aspx

Thanks and Regards

Friday, September 5, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Hi Rezo,

I am not sure whether I stated my question correctly or not.

While defining the Cycle we specify for which Scenario we are going to Input Data and for which Period Range. The Start of this Period Range should be greater that the Current Period Setup of the Model. The Data Entry Scope you have mentioned is starting from 1/12007 which is less than the Current Period of Model which is 9/5/2008.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks
    Ajay
    Friday, September 5, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Current period does not affect what cells are writable. (It may affect what cells are displayed and thus what writable cells are available, but it is not taken into account for the writable region. Also don't forget that the model current period is copied into the assignment instance)

Have you really used all the dimensions in the model? Set all filters to a leaf level? Matched the time hierarchy used in the form with the time memberview chosen for the assignment. All the errors listed so far result from entering data in non-writable cells.

Also you haven't mentioned anything about how you've set security for your user. A very common mistake is to forget to turn the role on for the model after applying all the permission....
    Friday, September 5, 2008 5:54 PM
  •  

Thanks guys for your support and suggestion.

There were some security and date issues which earlier I could not understand. As I have figured it out now its working fine.

Regards

Rezo

Monday, September 8, 2008 6:24 AM
  • Rezo,

what was the "security" and "date" issues you had and what solved it.  We are having the same problem and have no idea what is wrong.

Regards

Oli

Monday, October 13, 2008 10:41 PM