Microsoft Product Activation and Hardware changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have just read an article about Microsoft Product Activation on Windows XP [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx]. The article points out that their are certain hardware changes that can be done without making a new activation required. Scenarios listed in the article are:

+++ begin of qoute +++

Scenario A:

PC One has the full assortment of hardware components listed in Table 1 above. User swaps the motherboard and CPU chip for an upgraded one, swaps the video adapter, adds a second hard drive for additional storage, doubles the amount of RAM, and swaps the CD ROM drive for a faster one.

Result: Reactivation is NOT required.

Scenario B:

PC Two has the full assortment of hardware components listed in Table 1 except that it has no network adapter. User doubles the amount of RAM, swaps the video card and the SCSI controller.

Dockable PCs are treated slightly more leniently. In a dockable PC, if a network adapter exists and is not changed, 9 or more of the other above values would have to change before reactivation was required. If no network adapter exists or the existing one is changed, 7 or more changes (including the network adapter) will result in a requirement to reactivate.

Scenario C:

Dockable PC Three has the full assortment of hardware components listed in Table 1 except that it has no network adapter. User doubles the amount of RAM, swaps to a bigger hard disk drive, and adds a network adapter.

The change of a single component multiple times (e.g. from video adapter A to video adapter B to video adapter C) is treated as a single change. The addition of components to a PC, such as adding a second hard drive which did not exist during the original activation, would not trigger the need for a reactivation nor would the modification of a component not listed in the above table. Additionally, reinstallation of Windows XP on the same or similar hardware and a subsequent reactivation can be accomplished an infinite number of times. Finally, the Microsoft activation clearinghouse system will automatically allow activation to occur over the Internet four times in one year on substantially different hardware. This last feature was implemented to allow even the most savvy power users to make changes to their systems and, if they must reactivate, do so over the Internet rather than necessitating a telephone call.

+++ end of qoute +++

Are those information still appy to the Product Activation in Windows 7? Or are their any updates?

Best Regards,

Oliver

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Oliver,

We are not getting any notification on the change of Modifications to hardware on Windows 7. I think all Operating systems after Windows XP should share the same principle as Windows XP.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Oliver1969 Friday, April 29, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oliver1969 Friday, April 29, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Friday, May 6, 2011 3:05 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

We are not getting any notification on the change of Modifications to hardware on Windows 7. I think all Operating systems after Windows XP should share the same principle as Windows XP.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Oliver1969 Friday, April 29, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oliver1969 Friday, April 29, 2011 3:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Friday, May 6, 2011 3:05 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 6:17 AM
  • My frustation with Windows 7 activation:

I was one of those "possibly unfortunate" people who foolishly purchased a pre-order of Windows 7 Upgrade for my machine.  Well, since my computer was running XP-Pro at the time (32-bit), the initial upgrade went fine. Put in the DVD for 64-bit Windows 7 and positively LOVED the upgrade. Got rid of the old XP-Pro and threw myself "all in" to Windows 7.

Well, all was well until the day my Abit motherboard had to be replaced. I figured that now was the time to change my sometimes "wonky" OS-containing Seagate 500 to a Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Black and proverbially "kill two angry birds with the same stone."

I changed the MOBO to an ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo (sadest day of my life as it turned out), put in the new WD 500 GB drive and flicked in my Upgrade Windows 7 DVD and "let 'er go."

WELL OH MY SHATTERED NERVES!!! What ensued was one of the hugest frustrations of my life. Of course, Windows 7 64-bit balked, figuring, I guess, that I was a software pirate or something and the thing WOULDN'T re-activate.

Called activation support. Got one individual that was absolutely ... to be nice, "not helpful." So, I ended up phoning back to customer service, flipping out, and finally getting a guy who was great! Aman was his name, God love him! Got my windows re-activated and all seemed well. Talked to one of the support managers at Microsoft to outline my experience to him personally.

BUUUUT ... fast forward to today,

My luck being what it is, my ASUS Board has been the board from h***!  I now have a Gigabyte UD3LR that I had come in from the States no less, and I'm thinking to flip my current install to a 128 GB Patriot SSD drive for Windows 7 on the new Gigabyte board.

I know this is going to cause me issue. I was talking to one person at Microsoft tonight that suggested at first that I'll need to reinstall XP-Pro and then re-upgrade to Windows 7.  But when I asked him about "What if one doesn't have the original XP-Pro software anymore?" he suggested there may be another way, which, incidentally, I know there is.

HOWEVER, WHY OH WHY must a person go through this "rigmarole?" If, in the end, the upgrade copies of 7 were no good to re-install with if you switched to new hardware in this scenario (without first dirtying up the drive with another, previous operating system first), whyever sell the cursed things in the first place? Why not give a discount on a new retail version which (may?) allow for better hardware upgrade scenarios? What happens if I want to go to Windows 8? Would I first be encouraged by technical support to re-install XP-Pro, then Windows 7, then Windows 8? LOL!

For heaven sakes guys, can at least someone at MS realize that motherboards fail and that this can cause users major headaches, especially for the frugal ones among us who don't believe that they should have to forego their upgrade DVD's for full retail versions in order to upgrade hardware without getting activation-induced migranes?

In any event, could someone outline to me the best way to get this solved, without doing double OS installs?

All the best,

Curt  

Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:05 AM
  • "Curt-D" wrote in message news:86e63fde-07e5-4f24-b3c6-95797f3120a1...

In any event, could someone outline to me the best way to get this solved, without doing double OS installs?

All the best,

Curt 

Look here

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:40 AM