none
How do i find which security update failed to install ? RRS feed

• Question

• January-2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup (KB3212646), 1 update failed.

The errormessage only says that: "13 were installed and 1 failed".

But how do i find out which security update failed to install ???

Update History only lists "January-2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup (KB3212646) update failed"

Installed Updates only lists those that were succesfully installed, not the failed....

The whole update is 142.8 MB, so there is a lot of updates, not just from the last month.

So comparing the list of succesfully installed updates against the list of avilable updates from the last month is impossible....

The genius who came up the bright idea of putting all updates into one BIG cummulative update obviously did not think about what would happen if something goes wrong...

VERY CLEVER...

• Edited by hackerman1 Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:01 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi hackerman1,

If the updates fail, we always check the update history, the KB3212646 includes all the improvements and fixes in the previous Monthly Rollup. So it could only display the KB3212646 fails. We could not view which file is installed fail. I have check the KB and for a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 3212646. We could not view which file is installed fail.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3212646/january-2017-security-monthly-quality-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-win

I suggest that we could try reinstall it again to check. Then we could use the Windows Update Troubleshooter to try to fix the problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

Also for Windows 7, we could use the system update readiness tool to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness-tool

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Thank you.

First of all, your post is confusing, i´m not sure what you mean.

It looks like you have used Google Translate to translate from chinese to english...

I already know about several tools that can be used to fix update-problems.

I understand that you want to help, but you haven´t answered my question:

"How do i find out which security update failed to install ???"

That is the most important.

If i know which update it was that failed, i can download that update separately and try again.
    If that doesn´t work i will at least know which security-problem it should have "fixed", and if i am affected by that problem.

Because if i´m not affected there is no immediate need to waste a lot of time trying to install it...

Solving the problem (installing the failed update) is secondary.

Monday, January 30, 2017 11:31 PM
  • Hi hackerman1,

Thank you for your clarification. I mean that the KB3212646 couldn't be separately. It is a Monthly Rollup. The Windows Update history could only display the KB3212646 installed fail. We could try reinstall it instead of finding which update is installed fail in KB3212646.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:10 AM
  • I´m still confused, not sure what you mean...

I have already tried to reinstall, two times.

Same errormessage...

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:19 PM