Problem with Adobe Reader 9 RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes when I click on a document on the web that is a pdf and open it in Adobe Reader 9 I get a dialogue box that comes up. I am unable to read it. It is blank. I have a new PC and I did a system recovery got all of the updates and the same thing still happens. There is one button I'm assuming it is "OK" and click that. I then reload the document and it works. This can be from any website I visit. Also, I have a problem printing to XPS files, just wanted to mention this in case there may be a corrolation. This is posted in another thread.

The issue is while using IE.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, March 22, 2010 12:54 AM

Answers

• What you can try is re-register the ocx adobe uses. You can do this by closing all IE windows, open adobe reader. Clickt edit (menu) and select pereferences. A new Windo apperas. Go to "internet", remove the checkmark "open PDF in browser". Confirm with OK, close Adobe Reader. Open IE and click a link to a PDF file. It should open in Adobe reader. Then following the same procedure, put the checkmark back and test.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would recommend removing all Adobe pdf applications (reader, writer) and re-installing the latest version only.If that also does not work, refer to Adobe.com kb

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, April 2, 2010 1:33 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:42 PM

All replies

• Yeah I've been having similar problems with latest version of Adobe. I think the Firefox pdf plugin is dodgy or something because if I switch to IE it will download and read the pdf fine.

• Proposed as answer by zuwena Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jshoemaker21 Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:02 AM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 4:04 AM
  • I don't use Firefox on the 7 PC. I use IE and it happens. I'd like to know how to fix it. I also have another thread all about the XPS issue incase it's related.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't encountered this issue.

Please first check if this document can be opened properly using Internet Explorer (IE): [PDF] Windows 7 Power Management. Click Open when the popup window appears.

What is the result? If the issue persists, please reset IE and then reinstall Adobe Reader to see if the issue can be resolved:

Reset Internet Explorer

=========

Note: the following steps will remove all of installed add-ons and reset IE to default settings. We need to reinstall the add-ons after resetting.

1.     Click "Start", type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) into “Search” bar and press "Enter" to open the “Internet Options” window.

2.     Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3.     Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4.     Check "Delete personal settings" box and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5.     Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6.     Close the Internet Explorer window and restart IE to check the issue.

For more information about how to troubleshoot the Internet Explorer 8 issue, please refer to the following article:

You cannot view, access, or load some Web pages when you use Internet Explorer 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967897

Reinstall Adobe Reader

=========

1.     Go to Start, click Control Panel and then click Programs and Features.

2.     Uninstall Adobe Reader from the list.

3.     Download Adobe Reader for Windows 7 HERE.

4.     Install downloaded Adobe Reader.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Linda, that does open. It's a problem with IR only and it only happens when a PDF tries to open in the browser window. Sorry I forogt to mention that.

Also, I have restored my factory image and reinstalled several times.

Thanks

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Could you please let us know the exact meaning of "IR" you mentioned? Is it a website or a file type?

In addition, could you please provide a link of the pdf file you would like to open?

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:00 AM
  • IR was meant to be IE- Internet Explorer

I do not remember the link. It was either a "hit or miss". If I clicked a link that opened a PDF within an IE window it would work or it would come up with a blank prompt. Sometimes it works fine. I will try to get a screenshot so you can see exactly what I mean.

Linda,

In this post at the folling link (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/39af623c-18c7-4473-9b0a-0e4e52cc6029) I was asked to gather a log. No one has viewed it yet. But from the troubleshooting I have been doing there seems to be a correlation between my Adobe problems and XPS problems. Before Reader was installed the XPS printer worked when I tested it. May be coincidence, not sure.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:47 PM
  • The only way I can get the XPS printer to work all of the time from Internet Explorer is by uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.3.1. There seems to be some sort of compatability issue. Before uninstalling, I disabled many services including the 2 Adobe ones in MSCONFIG- this still did not work.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 4:19 PM
  • I fixed the problem by installing an alternate pdf reader called Foxit reader :)

No more problems with my pdf files!

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:21 AM
  • I was looking into this, but I'm used to Reader and it is supposed to be compatable according to both Microsoft and Adobe. I would still like to use it and think there should be a fix somewhere.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Monday, March 29, 2010 2:55 PM
  • What you can try is re-register the ocx adobe uses. You can do this by closing all IE windows, open adobe reader. Clickt edit (menu) and select pereferences. A new Windo apperas. Go to "internet", remove the checkmark "open PDF in browser". Confirm with OK, close Adobe Reader. Open IE and click a link to a PDF file. It should open in Adobe reader. Then following the same procedure, put the checkmark back and test.

If this does not resolve the issue, I would recommend removing all Adobe pdf applications (reader, writer) and re-installing the latest version only.If that also does not work, refer to Adobe.com kb

MCSA/MCTS/MCP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, April 2, 2010 1:33 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Again, can someone from MSFT view my XPS thread.....
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:36 AM
  • Had this issue at a few sites I manage. "Adobe Reader will not open PDF files in IE8".  Finally broke down and spent 30 minutes searching 'net for answer that doesn't involve uninstall and reinstall of old version of Reader, or doing a bunch of steps involving regsitering DLL's etc...

Found an answer on Adobe.com forums.  Simple to the point of silly.

Open Adobe Reader 9.  Click "Edit" on menu bar.  Click on "Preferences".  Uncheck "Display PDF in Browser".

Sounds exactly wrong.  But it worked for me.  Then went to another site that was having the same issue with Adobe 9 and their banking website.  On all PC's, running XP Pro, this fixed issue.

I like fixes that involve editing the registry as much as the next person, but it's great after going through page after page of these long drawn out "fixes" the solution is really so simple...

Thursday, June 3, 2010 12:00 AM