none
DPM 2012 R2 UR4 and BMR backup from physical 2008 R2 (DC, DNS, DHCP,WSUS, WDS) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm completely lost.

We updated from DPM2010 (2008 R2) to DPM 2012 R2 RU4 (2012 R2).
    Clean install. Same hardware. Everything went quite smoothly.
    Our new (and also old did the same thing) DMP protects some Hyper-V guest on our 2008 R2 Hyper-V cluster, one Exchange (2010) DB's and SQL 2008 R2 DB's and one physical server - 2008 R2 (DC, DNS, DHCP,WSUS, WDS ~160GB of data).
    Currently we are using some Buffalo Terastation's III (TS-RIXL) iSCSI SAN storage to hold our DPM protected data.
    Configured as RAID 5.

Our new DPM server is connected to those iSCSI devices using built in MS iSCSI initiator via secondary NIC on this server using dedicated iSCSI subnet.

Everything seems to be fine unitil System State and BMR (I'v checked both) runs.
    Basically my iSCSI NIC shows Write about ~170Mbit/s and Read about 520Mbit/s when backing up virtual machines, Exchange or SQL.

When it comes to System State and BMR backup the trouhgput is MUCH slower (about 65Mbit/s) and I can not figure out why. I understand that the BMR backup initiates direct writing to the DPM created and shared replica volume on my iSCSI NAS (my wording might be not correct but basically  I understand how this works). But I don't understand why the speed is so much slower. I'v tried everything, googeled around, changed NIC drivers, firmware etc. No luck.

If I just copy some big ISO file from/to server to DPM or vice versa the speed is arount 100MB/s (as reported by windows itself). So it seems to able to utilize full network speed. But why this backup is so slow? I'm excpecting to see speed about ~170Mbit/s because it corresponds my iSCSI Write speed as seen when backing up hyper-v guests and DB's..

What I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated :)

rgds Sven

Monday, January 26, 2015 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Sven,

Sometimes BMR is slower than backing up virtual machines (VHDs). If there is a free local disk, please test to do a backup locally to see the speed. From your description a common backup works much faster so let's see if it is the backup speed which causes the issue or not.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 2, 2015 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

You mean like to add some local disk to the DPM storage pool? Or to test WB locally only? What information it gives to me if I see that the local backup is faster. Is it faster or not, ether way I have to use my DPM server to backup this data up and I have to deal with this problem.

rgds Sven

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Hi Sven,

Were you able to fix this ?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

One thing I did was that I modified this physical server Windows Backup performance setting:

Configure Performance Setting -> Faster Backup Performance.

After that it seems like that it makes only incremental backups during DMP inititiated backup - and this is fast enough for me. For full backup - I have no solution or idea to make it faster.

rgds Sven

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:35 AM