Installing Client and limiting access to Remote Connections? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

I have a need to install the SCCM Client onto a PC and then somehow limit the ID so that they can only do a Start / Remote Control and then only for a certain set of computers.  And I don't mean the little client piece that goes on workstations to report in, I mean the actual SCCM program itself.

Can that be done?  If so, can anyone point me to a tutorial or something as to how I can configure that?

We access SCCM by remoting into the SCCM Server and running it from there so I don't know how I'd install the client onto another PC or know how I can do access restriction within it

Thanks!!!

We basically are setting up some Training VMs and the training admins need to be able to use SCCM to remote control into those training VMs to monitor the people actually taking the training sessions.

• Edited by Kelemvor33 Monday, July 28, 2014 7:04 PM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 7:00 PM

Answers

• Pretty simple, Administration, Security. The docs cover this, it is called Role Based Administration. I also have a virtual lab on TechNet for role based administration. You might look at it, it walks you through a scenario with RBA.

Wally Mead

• Proposed as answer by Daniel JiSun Monday, August 4, 2014 9:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Friday, August 8, 2014 10:24 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 8:03 PM

All replies

• The only thing I can think of is to restrict the other "client agents" by turning off features that you don't want. Other than that, no limited set of Configuration Manager Client components.

Wally Mead

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:06 PM
  • What do you want to do exactly? The terms you were using are not very technical ... there are users initiating remote control and (ConfigMgr) clients being remote controlled. What limits/permissions do you want to set up for what?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:09 PM
  • I edited the OP but maybe too late

I can log into the SCCM program on our server and remote control into any of our PCs.  Of course I can also do anything else in the system as well.

I need a way to give someone else access to SCCM but so that they can ONLY use the Remote Control option and do Nothing else within SCCM at all.

If I can even limit them to only being able to do the Remote Control to a specific Collection, that'd be even better.

Does that make sense?

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Do you mean from the console? If so, grant the user/group Help Desk rights. That limits what they can do in the console.

If you mean something different, will need more context.

Wally Mead

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Do you mean from the console? If so, grant the user/group Help Desk rights. That limits what they can do in the console.

If you mean something different, will need more context.

Wally Mead

Yes, Console.  That's the word I couldn't think of when I wrote the post.  Knew it start with a 'C' anyway.

SO yeah, we want to have a couple users who can log into the SCCM Console but not have permissions to do anything with software, task sequences, etc and Only allow them to have access to use the Remote Control feature.

So, I'll start looking into how to setup rights in the SCCM Console unless someone has a great link for me to follow. :)

Monday, July 28, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Pretty simple, Administration, Security. The docs cover this, it is called Role Based Administration. I also have a virtual lab on TechNet for role based administration. You might look at it, it walks you through a scenario with RBA.

Wally Mead

• Proposed as answer by Daniel JiSun Monday, August 4, 2014 9:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Friday, August 8, 2014 10:24 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 8:03 PM