RSS feed icon in Internet Explorer is not working for a blog site RRS feed

• Question

• I have two sites. They both use the same site definition and also the same master page. Problem is on one of these sites, RSS icon in internet explorer when clicked does not show the blog posts for that site even though it works fine for the other site.

When I do a view source on the site that is not working, the LINK tag is rendered as follows:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="abc" href="/abc/_layouts/sitefeed.aspx">

Whereas the view source on the site that is working, the LINK tag is rendered as follows:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Posts" href="/xyz/_layouts/listfeed.aspx?List=b3bc51b7%2Daa84%2D4b4e%2Da2a6%2D59675b0aa2d5">

As you can see the it points to "listfeed.aspx" and listID is being appended as quertystring parameter to the href which is not happening in the other case. I have enabled RSS at list level in both the sites.

Any pointers?

Moderator Note: NEVER post a new thread that bumps an existing thread. (Within minutes too so completely pointless). I deleted that other thread. Don't do this again.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:49 AM Moderator Note added
    Monday, February 14, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi diffident,

Did this occur only on the one blog site? And is the RSS feed icon the one on the default page of the blog site?

If open the default page of blog site in SharePoint Designer (SPD), we could find that RSS feed icon was not been defined in master page, instead it was been defined in the post list web part.

sitefeed.aspx page is not a predefined application page (SharePoint 2007), did it a customize application page?

Your ListViewXML code must been modified. The original code should be like this:

&lt;HTML&gt;&lt;![CDATA[/_layouts/listfeed.aspx?List=]]&gt;&lt;/HTML

But yours has changed listfeed.aspx to sitefeed.aspx.

Please delete ListViewWebPart in SPD > save and open this page with browse > Edit Page > Add a Web Part > select Posts list > Add it again.

Let me know if there any other questions, thanks.

Best regards. Emir
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:20 AM