App Controller 2012 - Unable to View Service or VM Diagrams RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've successfully installed and created a NLB service using VMM 2012. Now I'm trying out App Controller 2012 and have installed and configured it successfully, all the latest updates to the server applications i.e System Center 2012 Rollup Update 1 has been applied.. I've made a simple update to my service i.e. increasing the service RAM from 2Gig to 3Gig.

Now when ever I go into app controller 2012 to deploy my updated service I get the following error:

Category: Critical
    Description: App Controller has encountered an error and needs to restart. App Controller will restart when you click Close.
    Details: The given node belongs to different graph and therefore it cannot be added to the collection.

Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManagement.UI.Infra.ApplicationUnhandledException: Application unhandled exception. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The given node belongs to different graph and therefore it cannot be added to the collection.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DiagramFx.Model.GraphNodeList.VerifyItem(Node newItem)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DiagramFx.Model.ObservableList`1.InsertInternal(Int32 index, T item)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DiagramFx.Model.ObservableKeyedList`2.InsertInternal(Int32 index, TItem item)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DiagramFx.Model.GraphNodeList.InsertInternal(Int32 index, Node item)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManager.UI.SelfServiceUser.Diagram.Views.ManageVmmServiceViewModel.BuildTierSubGraphFromDeployment(Graph graph, Node serviceNode, VmmServiceDataItem serviceDataItem)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManager.UI.SelfServiceUser.Diagram.Views.ManageVmmServiceViewModel.CreateGraph()
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManager.UI.SelfServiceUser.Diagram.Views.DiagramDialogViewModel.CreateViewModelAndInit(Type viewModelType, DiagramDialogViewModelProxy proxy, DependencyObject masterGraphSurface, IEnumerable`1 targets)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManager.UI.SelfServiceUser.Diagram.Views.DiagramView.CreateGraph(IEnumerable`1 target, IErrorCollector errors, Type viewModelType)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManager.UI.SelfServiceUser.Diagram.Views.DiagramDialog.ShowDialog(IEnumerable`1 targets)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.CloudManagement.UI.Infra.ShowDialogTask`1.<>c__DisplayClass1.<ShowDialog>b__0()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

and the event log has the following error:

.NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.261 - Loading profiler failed during CoCreateInstance.  Profiler CLSID: '{AD5651A8-B5C8-46ca-A11B-E82AEC2B8E78}'.  HRESULT: 0x80070002.  Process ID (decimal): 7648.  Message ID: [0x2504].

I'm running the following hardware:

VMM2012/App Controller 2012

CPU: Quad Core Q9550

RAM: 8G

Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1

Any help would be most appreciated.

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:59 AM

Answers

• I want to let everyone know that we've released Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft System Center 2012 - App Controller (KB2721175) today.

This update rollup includes fixes to allow App Controller to successfully display diagrams for services that include load balancers.

The update is available on Microsoft Update and documentation is included in KB 2706783.

If you have the language pack for App Controller installed, please see the manual steps in the KB to ensure you continue to see localized content after applying this update.

Kind Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hi maykut,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue.

To help us with our investigation of this issue, can you let us know the following:

1. Do you see this issue for users who are members of an Administrator or Delegated Administrator user role in VMM, or only for users who are in a self-service user role?
    2. Do you see this issue with service templates that don't have a load balancer?

Thank you

Richard

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. In answering your questions.

I've created a stand-a-lone SQL 2008 R2 service. The service deployed fine, with no issues. I launched app controller 2012 and was able to view the Service and VM Diagrams with no issues. However when trying to launch the diagrams for my original service, which uses the Microsoft NLB it crashes.

So basically the crash happens only when your using a service, which utilizes a NLB configuration. 

Is their a work around or a fix, which will allow me to see my service/vm diagrams, which uses NLB?

Regards,

Michael

Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi Michael,

If I understand the issue correctly, then the only work around at the moment is to either:

• View the service using the Virtual Machine Manager console, OR
    • Use an administrator/delegated administrator account to connect to VMM from App Controller

I appreciate that these workarounds are probably not acceptable for your situation.

We are continuing to investigate this issue and I'll post more when I have an update.

Regards,

Richard

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Michael,

Apologies that it took me so long to get to your question. The error is happened because we're trying to refresh the state and present you with the latest information available. It has nothing to do with your set up or your servers.

Could you please send me a screenshot of your original service? Maybe there's a split second before the crash that shows the configuration? Or maybe you can see the service's diagram in the thumbnail view in the right bottom corner of the screen in the Services view section?

Probably the only way you can see the diagram of your service is by clicking Servicing -> Upgrade button. But I guess, there's little help for you here since that option lets you do only an upgrade on the service.

Anyway, newer versions are coming so we are definitely working on fixing that issue!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:10 PM
  • UPDATE: Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. We do confirm that this particular issue exists in the release version. From another source we also found about crashing during deployment a service with NLB -- when you click on the NLB node, AppController will crash.

I reproed these 2 issues with the release version. With the latest version that I have, I've been able to repro the crash during deployment time, but the original issue that you reported about (inability to see the diagram of a service with NLB) is not reproed and we've been able to see the diagram.

Currently, I can only promise that we will continue working on fixes. I hope Richard will be able to answer with more specific dates when the fixes will be available.

Thank you for your help, support and understanding! Please feel free to ping me if you have any further questions.

Andrey

Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Hi Michael,

We have a fix for this issue and will be making it available on Microsoft Update.

I will reply to this thread once the update is on Microsoft Update.

Thank you for helping us find and fix this issue.

Kind Regards,

Richard 

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Thanks for being patient for the fix - it should be available later this month.

Regards,

Richard

Friday, July 13, 2012 11:54 PM
  • I want to let everyone know that we've released Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft System Center 2012 - App Controller (KB2721175) today.

This update rollup includes fixes to allow App Controller to successfully display diagrams for services that include load balancers.

The update is available on Microsoft Update and documentation is included in KB 2706783.

If you have the language pack for App Controller installed, please see the manual steps in the KB to ensure you continue to see localized content after applying this update.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:00 AM