none
IE 11 - File Downloads - Disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this has been answered already, but I cannot find anything on it.

I'm the admin at my company. We do not have any GPO's related to IE at this time (well, with 1 exception - but I'll explain).

I've had 1 user report that "suddenly" she can't download anything from websites on her machine in IE11.

I checked, and her Internet zone had "File Download" set to "Disable".

I set it to enable - and she could download.

Next day - same problem. I changed it again - and rebooted/powered off - and it stuck. But, next day - it sets itself back to Disable.

Today - I had the issue occur on my own pc - out of the blue.

Anyone have any ideas why? I have scoured the few GPO's we have - and I don't see anything related to IE in our GPO's.

As a "workaround" - I created a policy to enforce the "File download" setting in the Internet zone to "Enable" - but what in the heck is setting it to Disable???

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Anyone have any ideas why?

That's a symptom of a user's AV protecting the registry.  You can bypass it by booting in safe mode, make the change there, test it there, boot in safe mode to test that it persists JIC, and then when you boot in normal mode the values being protected will be the ones that you want protected.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:36 PM
    Answerer
  • I appreciate the response. However, on my machine - I don't have any antivirus. On the other machine, Trend is on there, but that shouldn't cause any issues. It also isn't affecting any other users in our office with Trend (to the best of my knowledge). I don't think AV setting "File downloads" to "Disabled" on the Internet zone...
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:21 PM
  • I've had 1 user report that "suddenly" she can't download anything from websites on her machine in IE11...on my machine - I don't have any antivirus.
    What about the user's computer?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Trend is there - but I've viewed the settings & logs & don't see anything that could've or would've affected it. Likewise, most of the company is on the same version of Trend as well & I haven't received word that others are having this same issue. Very odd.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:47 PM
  • on my machine - I don't have any antivirus.

Regardless, I would suggest trying the workaround anyway but in your case definitely reboot in safe mode again to see if the registry change is persisting then.

BTW consider "AV" just an example of an interferer.  It could also be anti-malware, or malware, or anything else that has the authority to make such changes.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Q: What about the user's computer?
    A: Trend is there - but I've viewed the settings & logs & don't see anything that could've or would've affected it...

Answer-by-number:

1. Is it a Win7 (64-bit?) computer a Win8.1 (64-bit) computer?

2. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since it was purchased?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when it was purchased? (Doesn't matter if it was never used or Activated.)

4. Is the user in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; Glary Utilities; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component)?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Hello jmaiher,

Does this issue only occur in two computer?

Please check if there are Internet Explorer add-ons to disable the File download.

Additionally, please open the event viewer and double-check if there are any related error log. For more information about the event log, please refer to the following article.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 21, 2014 3:00 AM