Help with File Associations RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help with file associations. For some reason windows popped up a file associations window when i tried to open a .exe file. I selected to use media player to open it. I really didnt understand what it was asking me. So now when i open a .exe file media center opens up. But i just figured out when i try to open the same file on the cd the dialog pops up.

So what should i do? which program should i pick to open an .exe file? Shouldn't it just open or run itself?

Friday, September 15, 2006 3:29 AM

All replies

• Go to ControlPanel -> there is a item called default programs / settings

- choose "Microsoft Windows" and it should set all back to the standard as it was when Vista was first installed.

To specify filetypes and programs you can go to advanced settings to choose which program shall open what files.

SBJ

Friday, September 15, 2006 9:11 PM
  • That would help but when i choose that notepad runs( that is the one i chose after media center). So i cant run a exe file type.

Also exe is not in the "Associate a file type with a program". I tried to select "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" but since it is a exe notepad runs.

So i cant change the program defaults. I also tried in safe mode and it still doesnt work.

Thank you for the try,

Gus Raya

Saturday, September 16, 2006 1:54 AM
  • Got the same problem when trying to install Acrobat Professional.  Dialog box appears wanting to know what program to use for setup.exe.  I didn't know what to select as the associated program.  So I selected windows\system32\cmd.  Now it opens this for every program that wants to use a exe.  Totally screwed everything.
    Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:30 AM
  • Also have this problem.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:02 PM