Deploying a captured image to a Intel and AMD based system HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I have my standard XP SP3 syspreped captured image that was built on a Intel
    MP asset. My client has multiple Dell MP platforms which image with no issue,  as it
    should. Now they have brought to the table a HP dc5750 SFF which runs on a
    AMD processor and they want it to be imaged via MDT with my current image. I
    created my a folder under Out-Box-Drivers and created a folder for each
    driver that would be needed as I always do. I smacked F12 to PXE boot and run
    thorugh the wizards ( the few I have since it is pretty much fully automated)
    and MDT applies the image and reboots so that it can run through mini-setup
    as it usual does. But after the image is applied and the pc reboots I see the
    Windows XP screen and instead the going to mini-setup I get a BSOD with the
    error code of 0x0000007E.

Is there something I need to do to get the Intel MP built image across a AMD
    box? 

I do have mass storgae drivers for intel.

Is this a .hal issue or something else ?

Thanks
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:17 AM

Answers

• Ok, I figured out what my issue was, at least for one model of laptop. There were no drivers for the AHCI SATA controller being installed. Once I found these and got them imported, it booted up like it is supposed to. So I may not have needed to run the script above, but I'm leaving it. It was a challenge just to get to this point. I don't feel like taking a step back.

Now, it appears the next thing I need to work on is getting it to join to the domain. Since I work for a public school system, the FQDN is like "abc.k12.in.us". Just need to figure out what the syntax is and get it set.

This was a very informative thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

-Mike

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:49 PM
  • So when you image a computer and when it gets to the screen during (mini setup) where it shows what domain it is attempting to add the computer to  is that where it is failing?

• Marked as answer by Massivesystem Friday, February 11, 2011 9:19 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:17 AM

All replies

• Do you have the full exit code? The most likely cause is due to the IntelPPM service that causes a stop error on non intel pc's. The way to fix this is pretty strait forward. You need to mount your image offline using imageX and then edit the registry of the sysprep image. You can follow this guide to edit the registry offline.

The key you want to update is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm you can change its value to 4

I think you can also delete the key completly and it will be reset during mini setup if required on intel systems, if that does not work you will need to add a TS step based on a WMI query to check the Proccesor type and if it matched intel import that key into the image (in Windows PE)

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:39 AM
  • So I mounted the image with /mountrw, and launched regedit and clicked on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and went to load hive and that is where I am stuck. I loaded a .dat under default users and gave it a name and when I expanded it I dont see system, except for the one that I beleive that belongs to the machine I am on. is there something i am doing wrong?

thanks
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:07 PM
  • AMD has a totally different HAL. I don't even know if you can boot offline and swap manually - although I've never tried it. I've swapped out intel APIC for PIC, but even that isn't officially supported.

This guy says he got it to work.

http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=91

----------------------------------

We do this after cloning with Ghost, but before rebooting , to flip APIC and PIC

Function HALInfo()

' ---------------- Determine what type of HAL is being used by querying the registry.

On Error Resume Next

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002   
        strComputer = "."

Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\"&_
            strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\ACPI_HAL\0000"
        strValueName = "HardwareID"

Return = objReg.GetMultiStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,_
            strValueName,arrValues)

For Each strValue In arrValues
    '------------------Check HAL and assign it a simple value (APIC or PIC)

HALInfo = strValue
        Next

End Function

Sub UpdateHAL
        'Service Pack 3 changed the location of the backup HAL dlls. looking in old location (Driver Cache) first
        'then going to ServicePackFiles if not located.

Set objfso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If HALInfo = "acpiapic_mp" Then
    MsgBox "Copying MP HAL"
        'Copy ntkrnlmp.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

'Copy ntkrpamp.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrpamp.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe"

'Copy halmacpi.dll to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll -  check driver cache first, then SP3 Service Pck files
        If objfso.FileExists("c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halmacpi.dll") Then
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halmacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        Else
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halmacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        End If
        MsgBox "Copy Complete"
    End If

If HALInfo = "acpiapic_up" Then
        MsgBox "Copying UP HAL"
        'Copy ntoskrnl.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

'Copy ntkrnlpa.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrnlpa.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe"

'Copy halmacpi.dll to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll -  check driver cache first, then SP3 Service Pck files
        If objfso.FileExists("c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halaacpi.dll") Then
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halaacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        Else
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halaacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        End If
        MsgBox "Copy Complete"
    End If

If HALInfo = "acpipic_up" Then
        MsgBox "Copying PIC HAL"
        'Copy ntoskrnl.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

'Copy ntkrnlpa.exe to c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
        objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrnlpa.exe", "c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe"

'Copy halacpi.dll to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll -  check driver cache first, then SP3 Service Pck files
        If objfso.FileExists("c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halacpi.dll") then
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\Driver Cache\i386\halacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        Else
            objfso.CopyFile "c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll", "c:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
        End If
        MsgBox "Copy Complete"
    End If

'MsgBox HALInfo

End Sub
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:28 PM
  • AMD does not necessarily have a different HAL. The HAL swap will not resolve your problem as the issue is due to the IntelPPM service hanging the system. I will load an image offline and tell you what to change.

BSOD 0x0000007E is not HAL Related
    • Edited by Roger Ling Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:47 PM
  • The Registry Hive you need to load is stored at Windows\System32\Config\ The file you need to load is System.

So the process is:

- Open Regedt32.exe
    - Select HKEY_Local_Machine
    - Click "File" -> Load HIVE
    - Browse to <WIM Mount Folder>\Windows\System32\Config\System
    - On Key Name -> Enter OfflineHive
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Expand OfflineHive -> ControlSet001 -> Services ->IntelPPM
    - Double Click 'Start' -> Change Value to '4'
    - Click Back on OffLineHive -> Click File -> Click Unload Hive - Click Yes
    - Close Regedt32
    - Imagex /unount /commit c:\<WIM Mount Folder>

Update your deployment share and test

PS try do  the same on this key if the above does not resolve the issue: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Processor

• Marked as answer by Massivesystem Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Massivesystem Monday, March 22, 2010 11:00 PM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Roger Ling,

You are the MAN.   I only had to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->ControlSet001 -> Services ->IntelPPM key to 4, once I commited my changes and updated my DP the bounce a AMD box and it worked beatiful.

I appreciate your assistants on this issue.

Thank You
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Update, since I have changed IntelPPM to "4" (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->ControlSet001 -> Services ->IntelPPM) the AMD based pc image fine, the Intel based systems will image fine but device manager shows 2 yellow bangs for "Intel Core 2 Duo and the Broadcom USH. Is there a way to do it via the Task seqence? If so is there a script and where does it need to be in the TS. Other options????

Thanks

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Yip you would need to put in a TS step in after 'Deploy Operating System'. The step checks what Processor type is Active in WinPE and if it is AMD deletes those sets I showed you. I will send you the script.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Yip you would need to put in a TS step in after 'Deploy Operating System'. The step checks what Processor type is Active in WinPE and if it is AMD deletes those sets I showed you. I will send you the script.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 7:08 AM
  • A TS driven process is kind of what I thought after what you discussed above. How are you going to send the script? Do you need a email address

Thanks

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Sorry busy day at the office

The following script can be saved to your scripts folder as ZTIFixAmd.vbs and then referenced via a task sequence after the OS is deployed but before the reboot.

Its not the cleanest of scripts but will get the job done. I would look into using the MDT scripting guide and then follow those guidelines, that way you can also write your events out to the BDD.log file.

const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
    On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."
            strKeyPath="OfflineEditing\ControlSet001\services\intelppm"
      strValueName="Start"
      dwValue="4"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Processor")

For Each objItem in colItems
        MyProcType= objItem.Manufacturer
    Next

' Check to see if its not an Intel CPU if its not we change the registry
    If MyProcType <> "GenuineIntel" Then
     'Load the Registry Hive
      set objshell = CreateObject("Wscript.shell")
          exitcode1=objshell.run ("c:\Windows\System32\reg.exe load HKLM\OfflineEditing C:\Mount\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM",1,true)

'Connect to Registry and make changes
          Set objReg = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=Impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")
      objReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue

'Unload the registry
      exitcode2=objshell.run ("c:\Windows\System32\reg.exe unload HKLM\OfflineEditing",1,true)
    End If

If exitcode1 <> 0 or exitcode2 <> 0 then
     msgbox "Unable to Patch registry"
    End If

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Roger,

if I use this .vbs script show I leave the intelppm reg key Start set to 1 or 4? Right now I have it set to 4.

thank you

Dave

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:18 PM
  • It should be set to 3 in the image

You could take the script and do it the other way around if you wanted. I.E. change "GenuineIntel" to "AuthenticAMD" and the set the value to 3 in the script and leave it at 4 in the image. :-P

I would only use this script as a starting point though. I say this because it was a quick and nasty put together for you. I would usually build some error handling and some fuzzy logic into it in case its not always "GenuineIntel" or "AuthenticAMD' and to check for the correct system drive and not just assume it is c:

Lemme know if you need anything else

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Did you come right with this?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Hey Roger,

Sorry I was out of the office. Thursday I will be back in the office and will reverify that it works. I have the MDT Image's intelppm reg key Start set to "3" and left the script the way you had it, and placed it in the scripts folder and put a Run in Command Line in the TS after the image was applied but before the first reboot when mini setup starts.

Tuesday I ran it before I left the office on a Intel and a AMD box and it seem address the issue, for each box imaged, booted, and completed the MDT process succesfuly, and I checked the Device Manger and their seem to be no issues with the Processors on the AMD and Intel boxes.

Again I will verify this tomorrow and update you.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate it.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Roger,

Everything seems to work fine for boxes with the AMD 64 Athlon x2 but when I image a box with a AMD 64 Anthlon a box comes up that it can't patch the reg. If I click ok the MDT image process will contine fine.

Is there something differnt betwween the AMD 64 Athlon x2 and the  AMD 64 Anthlon?

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Did you change the code to AuthenticAMD? if so, thats probably why, not all AMD's report as AuthenticAMD I have updated the code below if you changed it to AuthenticAMD the do the same to the code below. This code will give you the error codes and the name of the proc let me know what the output is so I can tell what the problem is

On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."
      strValueName="Start"
      dwValue="4"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Next

'Load the Registry Hive
          exitcode1=objshell.run ("c:\Windows\System32\reg.exe load HKLM\OfflineEditing C:\Mount\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM",1,true)

Set objReg = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=Impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

'Unload the registry
      exitcode2=objshell.run ("c:\Windows\System32\reg.exe unload HKLM\OfflineEditing",1,true)
    End If

If exitcode1 <> 0 and exitcode2 <> 0 then
     msgbox "Unable to Patch registry Exitcode1=" & exitcode1 & " ExitCode2=" & exitcode2 & " Processor Type =" & MyProcType
    End If

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Something in your lastest code was rejected by MDT so I just copied

msgbox "Unable to Patch registry Exitcode1=" & exitcode1 & " ExitCode2=" & exitcode2 & " Processor Type =" & MyProcType
    End If

into the previous .VBS file. When I image any AMD box weather it is a AMD 64 Athlon x2 or AMD 64 Anthlon and it tries to patch the reg I get the following message.

Unable to Patch registry Exitcode1=1 Exitcode2=1 Processor Type=AuthenticAMD

My Intel boxes image with no issues

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Something in your lastest code was rejected by MDT so I just copied

End If

into the previous .VBS file. When I image any AMD box weather it is a AMD 64 Athlon x2 or AMD 64 Anthlon and it tries to patch the reg I get the following message.

Unable to Patch registry Exitcode1=1 Exitcode2=1 Processor Type=AuthenticAMD

However if I hit ok on the box and continues the imaging process fine. I checked the req as soon as it hit the desktop ti see what the intelppm start is set to and it shows 3. As soon as the AMD boes finishes I will see if I have any errors in the wizard pane.

My Intel boxes image with no issues, but the intelppm start shows 3 also.

Friday, March 26, 2010 6:37 PM
  • OK its not actually loading the registry to make the change, I ma going to check it in WinPE now. How long are you still at work for? Its quite late in RSA and its a Firday Night :-P

If I dont get it done in the next hour I will leave it till Monday Morning.

Friday, March 26, 2010 7:31 PM
  • I am at work for a few more hours but when ever you get time to check it out is fine

I appreciate you help

Friday, March 26, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I am at work for a few more hours but when ever you get time to check it out is fine

I appreciate you help

Friday, March 26, 2010 7:35 PM
  • OK My bad

I have fixed it and testeded it in WinPE it seems to work ok. If the Proctype is not GenuineIntel it will change the value IntelPPM start value to 4.

What you can do is press F8 in WinPE to open a command Window and then wait till after the OS is  deployed script has run. Then run Regedit and check the Value of the key and make sure it is 4 on AMD's

Good luck

'________________________________________________________________________

strComputer = "."
      strValueName="Start"
      dwValue="4"

Next

'Load the Registry Hive
          'MsgBox "Patching now"
     exitcode1=objshell.run ("reg.exe load HKLM\OfflineEditing C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM",1,true)

'Unload the registry
      exitcode2=objshell.run ("reg.exe unload HKLM\OfflineEditing",1,true)
    End If

If exitcode1 <> 0 or exitcode2 <> 0 then
    End If

'________________________________________________________________________

• Proposed as answer by Roger Ling Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:21 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:22 PM
  • OK I got to go now I will check in on the weekend to see if you came right and also try it out on an AMD single core (Think I have one)

Friday, March 26, 2010 8:44 PM
  • I will check it out on my side. One questions should I leave the Intelppm>start ket set to 3 in the image?
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:55 PM
  • I will check it out on my side. One questions should I leave the Intelppm>start ket set to 3 in the image?
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Yes the key in the image MUST be 3.

Did you come right?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Roger,

All Seems to be working fine, Intel's and AMD. I appreciate your help on this.. Kudo's to you man.

Dave

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 11:24 PM
  • Hi there - you could possibly really help me out here. Basiclly im the same as djlink - the other solutions you have noted have worked perfectly. However i too would like to add the script to automaticcally allow it to switch the intelppm between the 3 & 4. my question is - Where and when do i add the script to the image (ie. by mounting image it or before running sysprep on the initial pc?) Im running winxp sp3 macines off of server 2008 wds. Many thanks if you can reply.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:46 AM
  • I realize this thread is quite old, but I tried the script that Roger Ling posted (although slightly modified from his) and it is still loop booting. At this point, I'm thinking it is a driver issue which I am in the process of working out. I was able to boot to a WinPE disk and look at the registry to verify the "Start" key was changed from 3 to 4 and the log says it completed sucessfully. The OS installs and then the reg key is changed and the system configured, then reboots. At the Windows 7 splask screen, the clover leaf starts to come up and then the system reboots.  

Strange thing is that when I install Windows 7 on the AMD based HP laptop I am testing with, all the drivers install (although some of them are Windows generic drivers). Wouldn't this be the case with an image as well? I'm really needing to get this working as we are buying more AMD based systems. I don't want to have to deal with having multiple images to create if I can avoid it.

If anyone has ran into this issue and has any suggestions, I am open to any comments. I built the WIM on a VM and am trying to install it on AMD based HP Compaq 6535b, EliteBook 6445b, EliteBook 6455b laptops and on HP 6005 Pro USFF computers as well as Intel based HP Compaq 2710p, EliteBook 2730p, EliteBook 2740p, EliteBook 2530p and EliteBook 8540w laptops. You can see how diversified my line-up is and why I absolutely need to get this to work.

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

-Mike

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Ok, I figured out what my issue was, at least for one model of laptop. There were no drivers for the AHCI SATA controller being installed. Once I found these and got them imported, it booted up like it is supposed to. So I may not have needed to run the script above, but I'm leaving it. It was a challenge just to get to this point. I don't feel like taking a step back.

Now, it appears the next thing I need to work on is getting it to join to the domain. Since I work for a public school system, the FQDN is like "abc.k12.in.us". Just need to figure out what the syntax is and get it set.

This was a very informative thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

-Mike

Thursday, February 3, 2011 8:49 PM
  • add the following info to your cs.ini using your domain, account, password info

JoinDomain=VIAMONSTRA
    DomainAdmin=VIAMONSTRA\JoinAccount 
    DomainAdminPassword=P@ssw0rd
    MachineObjectOU=ou=Workstations,dc=corp,dc=viamonstra.com

Friday, February 4, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Hi djlink,

I've tried listing what you said above in the cs.ini file, but it doesn't work. I've tried listing it in all CAPS like someone else had pointed out on another thread. I've tried breaking up the MachineObjectOU line to "MachineObjectOU=OU=Computers,DC=abc,DC=K12,DC=IN,DC=US" and even listing only one DC as in "MachineObjectOU=OU=Computers,DC=ABC.K12.IN.US".

At first I thought by problem was that my "JoinDomain" line only said "abc" and that followed the error I was getting (failed to join domain "ABC"), so I changed it to the FQDN. Now the error message is the same except it says "ABC.K12.IN.US" which is what it should be. I even added another line called "DomainAdminDomain=ABC.K12.IN.US" since someone else said that worked for them.

I know the account I am using works because I can use it to manually join a computer to the domain. Just for kicks, I'm trying it with my account to see if it works.

I did read this morning that you only really need to use the MachineObectOU line if you want to add the computer to a different OU other than the default Computers OU. Right now, the default Computers OU is what I want, but I was trying to think if we ever decide to change that and have the computers go the school OU by using the location object in the database or some sort of script (not sure exactly), it would be nice to see this workingn now.

Any ideas?

-Mike 

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:54 AM
  • So when you image a computer and when it gets to the screen during (mini setup) where it shows what domain it is attempting to add the computer to  is that where it is failing?

• Marked as answer by Massivesystem Friday, February 11, 2011 9:19 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Hi massivesystem,

I think I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to make it join the standard Computers OU, which, turns out, isn't technically an OU. I had the MachineObjectOUset to "MachineObjectOU=CN=Computers,DC=abc,DC=k12,DC=in,DC=us. After it still did not join the domain, I looked in the log and it said "This is not an OU". So, by commenting out the MachineObjectOU line, it then would automatically join the domain and be placed in the default Computers OU, which is what I wanted.

I think if I changed the line to a different OU, it would probably join the domain and be placed in that OU, but we may never use that functionality. Right nw it is doing exactly what I want it to do, so that makes me very happy.

-Mike 

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:02 PM