Windows Freezes up RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Professional SP1 Keeps freezing up. I've scanned for viruses and none found. SFC shows files corrupt but that it can't repair. Any suggestions on how to fix this w/o doing a re-install?

I believe this is the relevant entry:

2013-12-28 08:32:17, Info                  CSI    0000031b [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"dhcpcsvc.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Client-Dll, Version = 6.1.7601.17970, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing
    2013-12-28 08:32:17, Info                  CSI    0000031c [SR] Unable to repair \SystemRoot\WinSxS\Manifests\\[ml:38{19},l:24{12}]"dhcpcsvc.dll"
    2013-12-28 08:32:17, Info                  CSI    0000031d [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"dhcpcsvc.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-DHCP-Client-Dll, Version = 6.1.7601.17970, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

FULL LOG:
    Link to CBS.log
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 5:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried system restore to roll back to the previous time when eveything was working fine.

Let's try to do a repair installation. It will require a installation disc.

1. Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2. Press any key to start the installation, at this point, the setup process will load files, this will take serveral minutes.

3. You will now need to choose the language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use. Then click Next.

4. Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the install Windows window. This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5. System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations. This will take serveral mintues.

6. Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7. Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

8. The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

9. Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.

10. Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

• Edited by Chilam.Wa Friday, January 24, 2014 6:43 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Allen-CCWTech Friday, January 24, 2014 10:01 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 6:43 AM

All replies

• Allen

You should run DISM.  Look at the end of this wiki for instructions

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, December 28, 2013 6:02 PM
  • I'm getting the following error. Is this command for Windows 7?

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Allen

I dont have access to a win 7 machine atm.  Were you online when you ran it?  Did you remember to put the spaces in? It does work in win 8  You may want to type DISM /? to find the available switches/contexts

Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Yes, I put in exactly as shown (Cut pasted from the web page you referenced).

It was an online command.

Allen

Thursday, January 2, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Allen

Maybe someone with access to a win 7 machine can help.  I will try to contact someone to check this.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:18 PM
  • Ok, thanks. Let me know.
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Allen

EDIT::::::

After some research and looking at the snips I can find on Google I have come to no definitive answer.  I guess we are just going to leave it as it wont run on your machine.  DISM is very similar on both.

DISM does run on win 7 but I cant find any authoritative information on those switches in Win 7.

None of this helps you.  You may want to look through the switches in DISM yourself.  Sorry

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Friday, January 3, 2014 4:35 AM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 12:04 AM
  • I have a Windows 8.1 box and the command works great.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to resolve the issue w/o reinstalling?

Allen

Saturday, January 4, 2014 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried system restore to roll back to the previous time when eveything was working fine.

Let's try to do a repair installation. It will require a installation disc.

1. Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2. Press any key to start the installation, at this point, the setup process will load files, this will take serveral minutes.

3. You will now need to choose the language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use. Then click Next.

4. Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the install Windows window. This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5. System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations. This will take serveral mintues.

6. Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7. Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

8. The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

9. Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.

10. Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

• Edited by Chilam.Wa Friday, January 24, 2014 6:43 AM update
    • Marked as answer by Allen-CCWTech Friday, January 24, 2014 10:01 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 6:43 AM
  • Fupin,

That's what I ended up doing (in place upgrade) and everything has been working now for a few weeks.

Friday, January 24, 2014 10:01 AM