List moved into a document library RRS feed

• Question

• I am not exactly sure what or how this happened, but from what I can tell it looks like a list web part was moved from the Lists folder into a document library. When I navigate in the document library I can see a folder which used to be a list, and the forms/attachments belonging to the list (ie AllItems, EditForm, DispForm, etc).

Is there a way to restore this list with the content that was associated with it?

The SharePoint site is hosted on a single server farm running Windows 2k3, SQL 2005, and WSS 3.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Friday, August 10, 2012 3:30 PM

All replies

• That sounds very bizarre.  My first thought was that someone had edited the aspx pages that hold the views but as you've mentioned a folder, I'm not so sure.

Can you upload a screenshot?

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Can you copy/move it using Sharepoint Designer?

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Steven,

Below is the screenshot of the list in the document library.

I can copy/move it, however when I move it back the content is gone.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:23 PM
  • "I can copy/move it, however when I move it back the content is gone."

Are you using Explorer View? Sounds like somebody might have dragged it accidentally. You're losing the content when moving it through Explorer View?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Yes, I should have clarified. When a user first reported this issue that was the only way I could replicate it was through explorer view. SharePoint designer gives an error if you try to move a list into a document library. Now that the list has been moved into the library, I can copy/move it like any other folder or file in SharePoint designer. I was mainly wondering if there was any way to get the content back.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I've seen some ways to do this using Powershell, but keeing it in the UI (and quick and dirty),

1. Export the list you're working with to your desktop, naming it TestLib.iqy
    2. Open in xls, select all, copy
    3. Create a new list
    4. Change to Datasheet View
    5. Paste TestLib.iqy values over new list's values

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

It seems to be copied or moved via Sharepoint designer. If you want to restore the list try opening it and then export it into  a spreadsheet and then use this spreadsheet to create a new list.

Moreover how is the URL? Does it begins with /Lists/ or directly after site URL.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Rahul,

I believe this was copied through windows explorer, as SharePoint designer actually gives an error.

The URL looks like this: http://site/Shared Documents/List Name

When I navigate to the page through SharePoint designer or the GUI, the views are blank web part pages with no content or option to export. Also when I go to view closed web parts there are none.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:23 PM