locked
Slow Boot Slow Logon (SBSL) for Windows 7 Ent SP1 64-bit clients in Windows Server 2008 R2 Functional Level Domain RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I need help to resolve an ongoing issue that we have been having with SBSL for our W2008R2 domain for some time now. We use roaming profiles.

    We're a school and since we returned from the summer break EU's have been complaining of a lack of 'performance' from client machines that previously were OK.

    We have tried looking in various places - Windows Updates, GPO's, Network connections, More RAM etc. but to no avail.

    Due to the length of time that we have had these reports people (SMT) are making noises about getting people in etc.. which usually takes us off-task to explain our setup, the history and so forth. I am sure many of you have similar experiences of this type of scenario and 'help' before...

    I have been trying to use the WPT for the first time and have managed to gather some xbootmgr/xperf data using the published methods both here in the forum and in MS KB's

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10128.tools-for-troubleshooting-slow-boots-and-slow-logons-sbsl.aspx#Installing_XPERF_to_capture_a_slow_boot_or_logon_trace

    and have posted the results here:

    http://1drv.ms/14z8Onr

    Apologies in advance for the state of the data if it's not right. I used the following cmds to run:

    xbootmgr -trace boot -traceflags base+latency+dispatcher -stackwalk profile+cswitch+readythread -notraceflagsinfilename -postbootdelay 10

    xperf -on base+latency+dispatcher+NetworkTrace+Registry+FileIO -stackWalk CSwitch+ReadyThread+ThreadCreate+Profile -BufferSize 128 -start UserTrace -on "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Core+Microsoft-Windows-Wininit+Microsoft-Windows-Folder Redirection+Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service+Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy+Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon+Microsoft-Windows-Security-Kerberos+Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles General+e5ba83f6-07d0-46b1-8bc7-7e669a1d31dc+63b530f8-29c9-4880-a5b4-b8179096e7b8+2f07e2ee-15db-40f1-90ef-9d7ba282188a"  -BufferSize 1024 -MinBuffers 64 -MaxBuffers 128 -MaxFile 1024

    The most chronic machines are our student PC's and I am being frustrated by the fact that we use various GPO's etc to lock-down the machines so I am getting unexpected error dialogues such as:

    Which is adding to the confusion but nevertheless I have posted the files that I have generated in the hope that someone might be able to shed some light on what's happening.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Julian

    Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:04 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

    The screenshot you provied is corrupt, please check it again. This slow performance only occures at Client PC, isn't it?

    On the other hand, we do need some to analyze the trace log, please be patient.


    Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, January 9, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Hi Roger,

    here is the screenshot again. I have also posted it to the onedrive link above.

    Thx


    Julian

    Friday, January 9, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

    A picture is worth a thousand words:


    According to these two screenshot, we can find that it's GPclient that caused this problem. In second picture, Disk utilization start coming to high, this process should be group policy applied phase.


    Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support


    • Edited by Roger Lu Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:09 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi Roger,

    I had read your previous reply about readyboost and decided to re-run the tests as, although I was fairly sure that I had now had a USB stick in the test machine, I wanted to be sure that there was not.

    I have posted the results to the onedrive in a folder called 13Jan15.

    One thing that I did notice was that when I logged in as a pupil I got the logger error whereas when I logged in as a staff account the error did not occur.

    furthermore when using the pupil account the logfile generation for xbootmgr did not complete until I logged back in with admin privileges.

    If you recall I mentioned the pupil lock-down policy which includes software restrictions that I suspect may be affecting the results as well as being complicit in the original issue.

    If gpclient is the likely culprit then please do you have a link to an appropriate KB to help me with troubleshooting the issue?

    I have a separate question open in the forums about GPMW and the other tools not working properly at present so please bear this in mind if there are references to this in the KB.

    Thanks in advance.

    Julian


    Julian

    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

    For this problem, it would be better to check Event Viewer if it identify the events, if that it is, what's the detailed error message in event log?

    Event Viewer\Windows Logs\System.

    Event Viewer\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Group Policy\Operational.

    For GP debug, you can refer to  the links below for more details:

    Group Policy Debug Log Settings:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4506.group-policy-debug-log-settings.aspx

    Group Policy Logging on Windows Vista:

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/comments/2975012.aspx/

    Now we come back to your problem, here is another hotfix about SBSL problem which I think would be helpful with yours, you can try to install the hotfix for test:

    Long startup or logon time when no domain controllers are available on a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based domain member computer:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2673042


    Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Proposed as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, January 19, 2015 10:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, February 9, 2015 10:00 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:59 AM