Can not edit/add content to sharepoint 2007 in spite of "Total Control" permissions. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Although sharepoint administrator has full control over the sites of Sharepoint 2007, he can not add or edit content.

The owners of each of the sub-sites created a log time ago that, also, have the permission "Full Control" or other privileged permissions can not edit or add data to lists and documents. This problem arose from one day to another without having reasons for that behavior. Any indications to solve this?

Regards.

Paparipote
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:40 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:07 PM

Answers

• Rashu, tanks for your indications. We could not find the solution to this unexpected problem with the toolkit you kindly indicated, although we could find other problems not necessarilly related. And neither was able to apply the suggestion of permissions because, such as I indicated in my question, all the owners of the different sub-sites had "total control" yet but, in spite of that, they could not edit.

At the end, the problem was due to an exhausted disk space in the Configuration Database of SharePoint, the log file contained into this database did not free enough space. The log files of SharePoint and Event viewer were not very clear.

My best regards.

Paparipote
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:52 PM

All replies

• HI,

I too have seen this problem intermittently in my environment.

You need to check these points.

1. Check effective permissions of the user using securityreportaccount functionality provided by admintoolkit. You will get it fir free here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=14227

2. Provide direct permissions of "Full Control" this should be resolving this issue since it has worked for me in our environment.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Rahul, thanks for your help.

1) Which message should I pay attention in the results of the AdminToolkit?
    2) I would like to know how to provide direct permissions of "full control"

Many thanks!!

Paparipote
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

Have you installed admin toolkit? If yes then go to site settings there you will get an option of "Check Effective Permissions".

Click on this and then you will get a page where you can check the permissions of any user.

Regarding second part I am providing you a direct way follow this:

1. Add _layouts/user.aspx to the URL of your site.

2. You will be taken to the site permissions page. Click on Add ten resolve the user name.

3. Now select the option of providing permissions directly.

4. Select full control and click on Add.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Rashu, tanks for your indications. We could not find the solution to this unexpected problem with the toolkit you kindly indicated, although we could find other problems not necessarilly related. And neither was able to apply the suggestion of permissions because, such as I indicated in my question, all the owners of the different sub-sites had "total control" yet but, in spite of that, they could not edit.

At the end, the problem was due to an exhausted disk space in the Configuration Database of SharePoint, the log file contained into this database did not free enough space. The log files of SharePoint and Event viewer were not very clear.

My best regards.

Paparipote
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:52 PM