Windows Shut down from screen icon RRS feed

• Question

• I recently  had to restore my windows 10 to a point in the past --(4 days) and now  I cannot turn off the unit from the screen , it will go into sleep mode from the screen prompt. also  it will not restart itself  , windows defender does not work and when I try to delete shortcuts located on my home screen a message comes up that they do not exist.

It will not allow me to set up e mail as well.

any ideas?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:30 PM

All replies

• You have more problems that just what your post title said.

It would be better off, in a long run, to do Repair Install.............

Use this link to download your edition and version of Windows 10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Click the Download Tool Now button, and Run it.

Make sure you select the SAME Edition, Language and Bit-version as your windows 10 is now running.

Follow the prompts and select Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping the settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

When dust is settled, you can burn the iso file you have saved in your computer to a bootable media ( DVD or USB ), and you can use it to do clean install if you want.

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, November 23, 2016 12:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 12:10 AM
  • any ideas?

Use the Power button menu in the Ctrl-Alt-Delete prompt?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 12:16 AM
  • Hi JNG Eng,

Open an administrator command line and run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth".
    Try to login with another administrator account or create a new administrator account.

If the issue persist, we could try to perform an in-place upgrade repair. Boot from a Windows 10 installation media then choose "Upgrade" install. An in-place upgrade repair won`t affect your personal data and program. We`d better to backup the important data in case of unexpected behavior.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:31 AM