External Domain Trust Removal RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to clean up some external domain trust issues. The trust has been removed from one side of the trust, but I cannot remove the trust from the other side. I have domain admin logins in both domains. The domain abc.com still shows def.com as both an incoming and outgoing trust, but def.com does not show abc.com as any type of trust. This appears to be in the GUI only, as it does not appear to be in ADSIedit as a trustedDomain object under CN=System in abc.com. 

Any ideas on how to remove it. 

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:09 PM

Answers

• I would recommend to refer to suggestions made here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fdd89522-134c-4f8b-9dce-a6493e1150b9/how-do-i-remove-broken-or-stale-trust-relationships-between-two-domains?forum=winserverDS

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, April 22, 2016 11:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jay Gu Friday, May 6, 2016 3:26 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:43 AM
  • Hi Njevity,

How did you remove the trust relationship?

As far as I know, there is a dialog box appear when you click Remove.

1. Click No, remove the trust from the local domain only.

If you choose this option, it is recommended that you repeat this procedure for the reciprocal domain.
    2. Click Yes, remove the trust from both the local domain and the other domain.

If you choose this option, you must type a user account and password with administrative credentials for the reciprocal domain.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Remove a trust

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782416(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, April 22, 2016 11:54 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:59 AM

All replies

• I am trying to clean up some external domain trust issues. The trust has been removed from one side of the trust, but I cannot remove the trust from the other side. I have domain admin logins in both domains. The domain abc.com still shows def.com as both an incoming and outgoing trust, but def.com does not show abc.com as any type of trust. This appears to be in the GUI only, as it does not appear to be in ADSIedit as a trustedDomain object under CN=System in abc.com. 

Any ideas on how to remove it. Its been over 72 hours since the trust was removed. 

• Edited by Njevity_Mark Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:11 PM
    • Merged by Amy Wang_ Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:06 AM Duplicate
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:11 PM
  • Hello,

Can you please try to use netdom trust command on a DC in a domain where the trust is still displayed? Does it show anything?

Regards

• Edited by Avendil Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Hello,

Can you please try to use netdom trust command on a DC in a domain where the trust is still displayed? Does it show anything?

Regards

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:41 PM
  • I would recommend to refer to suggestions made here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fdd89522-134c-4f8b-9dce-a6493e1150b9/how-do-i-remove-broken-or-stale-trust-relationships-between-two-domains?forum=winserverDS

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, April 22, 2016 11:55 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:43 AM
  • Duplicate thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2b49460d-3d67-4944-8417-30f4f5948f2b/external-domain-trust-removal?forum=winserverDS#2b49460d-3d67-4944-8417-30f4f5948f2b

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:44 AM
  • Hi Njevity,

How did you remove the trust relationship?

As far as I know, there is a dialog box appear when you click Remove.

1. Click No, remove the trust from the local domain only.

If you choose this option, it is recommended that you repeat this procedure for the reciprocal domain.
    2. Click Yes, remove the trust from both the local domain and the other domain.

If you choose this option, you must type a user account and password with administrative credentials for the reciprocal domain.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

Remove a trust

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782416(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, April 22, 2016 11:54 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:59 AM