0xc0000098 Error/problem booting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, the night before last night I shutdown my computer with the automatic installing updates. I have had this computer for 6months and thought nothing of it like always, but when I started the computer back up I got the error message \Windows\system32\drivers\pciide.sys
    and the 0xc0000098 error.

I have tried safe mode - no luck
    I have inserted the Vista Boot disc and ran the press any key to boot from disc, but nothing happens it just comes up with the error message again. I have told the BIOS to boot straight from the disc, no luck. I have tried all the of modes with pressing F8, no luck

I cannot even format the HDD to reinstall Windows Vista, because it won't load the disc. I have tested the CD/DVD drive in another computer and it works fine.

I cannot wipe the HDD on another computer as I have very important work on there which isn't backed up and I cannot lose it.

Computer specs:
    Q6600 G0 Stepping
    4GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400
    ASUS P5K - E
    8800GTS 640MB
    500gB HDD
    620W Corsair PSU

Please help.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Jakeee,

Thank you for the post.

I fully understand the frustration you are experiencing.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps: restart the computer and keep pressing F8; Use Last Known Good Configuration.

If the issue still occurs after that, I suggest testing if we can boot from a Windows XP disk. If so, please install Windows XP on another partition and access your important data. After backing up those data, you can use Windows XP disk to format the drive and reinstall Windows Vista.

However, if we cannot boot from a Windows XP disk, the issue can be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or damaged hardware. I recommend contacting your computer manufacturer to check BIOS and hardware.

To access the data on the drive, you can try to install the hard drive on another computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Jakeee,

Thank you for the post.

I fully understand the frustration you are experiencing.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps: restart the computer and keep pressing F8; Use Last Known Good Configuration.

If the issue still occurs after that, I suggest testing if we can boot from a Windows XP disk. If so, please install Windows XP on another partition and access your important data. After backing up those data, you can use Windows XP disk to format the drive and reinstall Windows Vista.

However, if we cannot boot from a Windows XP disk, the issue can be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or damaged hardware. I recommend contacting your computer manufacturer to check BIOS and hardware.

To access the data on the drive, you can try to install the hard drive on another computer.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:06 AM
  • I am not sure how good you are in computers. My advise is base on you know how to navigate and use an operating system.

Fistable I will download Knoppix, it is a Linux base live CD that you can boot from and recover all your files savely. After all you files are recover, you can look at the manufacturer of you hard drive and download the mainteance utility, to be more specific the low level formating utillity, that will destroy what ever it is in the hard drive. I you want to make sure the nard drive is ok, then you can run the test utility to make sure there are not back sectors, blocks, cilynders or traks. Some of them will even tell you if the heads in the drive are actually working properly.

Th3Dr4g0n

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:08 PM