none
Disk recovery failed ID 265 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have just started to use DPM to backup our servers and were very impressed with the speed of the backup, synchronising and recovery point creation until I tried restoring some data. The data in question is around 500gb and when restoring it from the latest recovery point it failed twice at the same point after 326gb, I have included the log below, which doesn’t really tell me much. I have checked the obvious things but as the server is still synchronising in DPM and has the green ok tick in the protection console I am really miffed to why it should be corrupt, especially after just spending out on an enterprise solution, please help me!

Type: Disk recovery
    Description: DPM encountered an error while reading from the recovery point used for recovery. Either the recovery point no longer exists or, if you selected a share for recovery, the path to its contents is missing from the recovery point. (ID 265 Details: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable (0x80070570))
     More information
    End time: 06/04/2011 01:06:19
    Start time: 05/04/2011 22:34:19
    Time elapsed: 02:32:00
    Data transferred: 326,823.94 MB (342699737088 bytes)
    Source details: E:\
    Target details: D:\  on BackupServer

Cluster node -

We are using DPM 2010 and the data we are backing up at the moment is just simple files not SQL or exchange, I am trying a restore from a different recovery point as we speak, edit: which also failed 14:01, but if this is going to be used for disaster recovery I really need to know why it failed, if its just one file fine, just skip it but dont fail the whole backup!

Many Thanks in anticipation

Bob

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

1) Under Protection tab - Locate the data source you need to run chkdsk for.

this how you do it

2) Highlight the datasource, then click on the "Click to view details" for the Replica path: - and copy the path into notepad.

It will be in the form of the below:

PS_server.domain.com\User data   C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8\e96ce814-cda8-45ea-a797-f286aacb3473\Full

Remove the source path and only keep the Destination path C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string.

Just copy this section into buffer.  C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8    [This represents mounted volume path for the replica volume]

3) Open a command prompt with administrative privileges

4) Modify the properties of the window so it's  Screen buffer size is 9999 and it's Windows Size Width is 200.

5) Run mountvol.exe to display volumes and associated mountpoints.

6) Locate the Destination path C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string from step two.  If it is the recovery point volume you need to run chkdsk against, look for the same path but instead of REPLICA, look for DIFFAREA in the path.

C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string.

C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Diffarea\... string.

7)  Note the \\.\volume{guid} above the path, that is the volume we need to run chkdsk against.

Example of mountvol output.

\\?\Volume{c7ec71b9-3d04-11df-bb0d-00248117d06e}\

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Diffarea\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8  

8) Now run chkdsk /f \\?\Volume{c7ec71b9-3d04-11df-bb0d-00248117d06e}  and see if it can fix the corruption

while you are mounting the replica , can you copy from the mounted volume to same place that you are restoring to ?

Islam

Islam Gomaa Microsoft MVP | System Center Data Protection Manager email: Islam @ Islam Gomaa.com Blog: http://owsug.ca/blogs/IslamGomaa Website: www.islamGomaa.com
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Bob

1. Verify that you diskspace isn't insufficient on the target drive your trying to restore to.

2. Try to restore just one file from the problematic recovery point, does that work?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Hi Bob,

1) Under Protection tab - Locate the data source you need to run chkdsk for.

this how you do it

2) Highlight the datasource, then click on the "Click to view details" for the Replica path: - and copy the path into notepad.

It will be in the form of the below:

PS_server.domain.com\User data   C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8\e96ce814-cda8-45ea-a797-f286aacb3473\Full

Remove the source path and only keep the Destination path C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string.

Just copy this section into buffer.  C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8    [This represents mounted volume path for the replica volume]

3) Open a command prompt with administrative privileges

4) Modify the properties of the window so it's  Screen buffer size is 9999 and it's Windows Size Width is 200.

5) Run mountvol.exe to display volumes and associated mountpoints.

6) Locate the Destination path C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string from step two.  If it is the recovery point volume you need to run chkdsk against, look for the same path but instead of REPLICA, look for DIFFAREA in the path.

C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Replica\... string.

C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Diffarea\... string.

7)  Note the \\.\volume{guid} above the path, that is the volume we need to run chkdsk against.

Example of mountvol output.

\\?\Volume{c7ec71b9-3d04-11df-bb0d-00248117d06e}\

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Diffarea\Non VSS Datasource Writer\vol_571ad355-e8b0-4fd8-be1d-766ccb7002a8  

8) Now run chkdsk /f \\?\Volume{c7ec71b9-3d04-11df-bb0d-00248117d06e}  and see if it can fix the corruption

while you are mounting the replica , can you copy from the mounted volume to same place that you are restoring to ?

Islam

Islam Gomaa Microsoft MVP | System Center Data Protection Manager email: Islam @ Islam Gomaa.com Blog: http://owsug.ca/blogs/IslamGomaa Website: www.islamGomaa.com
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 4:31 PM