Exchange 2007 uninstall from a 2008 DC help RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the scenario:

We have several Exchange servers and DCs in offices around the world.  We closed one of the offices and the server there was shipped back to the main office here in the US.  This server is also a domain controller. 

I connected it to the internal network here and was able to log onto it fine.  However, there appears to be AD issues as if I try to connect to the FSMO role holder in My Computer by typing \\SERVERNAME, I get a message that it is not accessible and Logon failure: Target account name is incorrect.

These issues are causing the Exchange uninstall from this server to fail as well.  Our goal is to completely eliminate the server from the domain so I wanted to know if I just ran a dcpromo to demote the server, and then try to uninstall Exchange from the server after it is just a member server, would that cause any issues with the Exchange organization?

I read that running DCPromo on an Exchange server breaks things, but I wasn't sure if it was just on the one server or throughout the entire Exchange Organization.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:25 PM

Answers

• A couple of questions that will help deal with your situation:

1. How long was the server offline?
    2. Have you checked the event log to see if there is red indicating lack of domain access?
    3. Is replication to this server also broken?

And yes, running DCPromo on this server can break things in the Exchange system beyond this server.  Don't do it.

Now, if the answers to the questions above were "a long time" and "yes,yes", then you logged in with a cached profile and the server has lost its connection to the domain.  Since this is a domain controller, you were able to logon because your account exists on it.  It's going to be difficult to remove it gracefully (using Setup).  ou may need to manually remove it from the server and from the environment, then DCPromo the server.

If the system was NOT offline for an extended period, then there are other issues, and my statements above can be ignored.

I'll add that if you have other Exchange servers that are domain controllers, you need to start planning to remove Exchange from them ASAP so you don't end up in this predicament again.  See the following - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.80).aspx - specifically "For security and performance reasons, we recommend that you install Exchange 2007 only on member servers, and not on Active Directory directory servers."
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:54 PM

All replies

• A couple of questions that will help deal with your situation:

1. How long was the server offline?
    2. Have you checked the event log to see if there is red indicating lack of domain access?
    3. Is replication to this server also broken?

And yes, running DCPromo on this server can break things in the Exchange system beyond this server.  Don't do it.

Now, if the answers to the questions above were "a long time" and "yes,yes", then you logged in with a cached profile and the server has lost its connection to the domain.  Since this is a domain controller, you were able to logon because your account exists on it.  It's going to be difficult to remove it gracefully (using Setup).  ou may need to manually remove it from the server and from the environment, then DCPromo the server.

If the system was NOT offline for an extended period, then there are other issues, and my statements above can be ignored.

I'll add that if you have other Exchange servers that are domain controllers, you need to start planning to remove Exchange from them ASAP so you don't end up in this predicament again.  See the following - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719(EXCHG.80).aspx - specifically "For security and performance reasons, we recommend that you install Exchange 2007 only on member servers, and not on Active Directory directory servers."
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Hi   Rayminette

Thank you for your question,

You can refer to the following steps :

1. Migrate Exchange Roles and Databases to another new server.

2. Uninstall the Exchange Server on the old server

3. Migrate DC to another Server

4. Demote the old DC server.

As for the current situation, you need to first fix the AD issues prior uninstalling the Exchange Server. Or you can contact a Microsoft Support and inquiry how to safely uninstall Exchange from ADSIEDIT. (Note: this solution is not recommended without MS support’s assistance)

If there are any questions, please let me.

Best Regard,

Jim

Thursday, October 30, 2014 9:34 AM
  • Jim, the issue he is having is that since his server can't connect to his FSMO role holder (he doesn't say which), he can't run Setup to gracefully uninstall Exchange. The steps you list only work if setup can be used ...
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:23 PM