none
Migrate from IE9 to IE11 via GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way to migrate from IE9 to IE11 (on Win7 x64 machines). I've read a lot of post, but haven't yet found a solution.

I know WSUS could handle this, but I want to control the deployment. i.e. I would like to select a computer to target for the IE11 migration. I'm not sure if this is possible via WSUS.

I'm in a corporate company where I would have to control the deployment and test. Once the test phase has completed, I could roll out the migration to a selected few computers.

My method of migration would be GPO or WSUS (if WSUS can allow targeting of computers)

My environment dosen't have SCCM or MDT. It won't be an option to install these either.

Ideally I'd like to create an IE11 package, create a group policy and apply it to an OU. The Group Policy is picked up by the computer in the OU and IE9 updates to IE11... **In a real world that's how it would work right???

Thank you in advance guys

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:50 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply Niko,

I think this could be a solution below.

My method will be using WSUS and GPO

My steps will be:

Create a sub OU under my current Workstations OU Called IE 11 Test.

Copy my current WSUS GPO assigned to the Workstatiosn OU.

Edit the WSUS GPO and call it WSUS IE 11 Test. Also edit Target group name for this computer. Change the field to IE 11 Test. Apply this GPO to IE 11 Test OU.

In WSUS create a Computer Group as a sub computer group under Workstations. Call it IE 11 Test.

Search for IE 11 updates and IE 11 installer in WSUS. Approve the updates and select the OU IE 11 Test (Use same as parent) **This should allow the approved updates from Workstations, and also IE 11 updates to be installed on a computer in this OU. Selecting differently would only install the IE 11 Updates.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi biziee,

Please refer to the following article to understand how to use Group Policy Software Installation to install IE 11:

Group Policy Software Installation overview

Group Policy Software Installation helps you specify how applications are installed and maintained within your organization. With Group Policy Software Installation, you can manage an application within a Group Policy object, which is in turn associated with a particular Active Directory container--either a site, a domain, or an organizational unit. Applications can be managed in one of two modes: assigned or published.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Niko,

I think this could be a solution below.

My method will be using WSUS and GPO

My steps will be:

Create a sub OU under my current Workstations OU Called IE 11 Test.

Copy my current WSUS GPO assigned to the Workstatiosn OU.

Edit the WSUS GPO and call it WSUS IE 11 Test. Also edit Target group name for this computer. Change the field to IE 11 Test. Apply this GPO to IE 11 Test OU.

In WSUS create a Computer Group as a sub computer group under Workstations. Call it IE 11 Test.

Search for IE 11 updates and IE 11 installer in WSUS. Approve the updates and select the OU IE 11 Test (Use same as parent) **This should allow the approved updates from Workstations, and also IE 11 updates to be installed on a computer in this OU. Selecting differently would only install the IE 11 Updates.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:58 AM