Why is Windows Update installing Updates out of order? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone explain this odd behavior?
    Why is Update installing the feature Update to Win10 (ver 1607) before the updates to 1511?
    Friday, October 7, 2016 4:04 PM

Answers

Why is Update installing the feature Update to Win10 (ver 1607) before the updates to 1511?
    Because if it installs Feature Updates first, the Quality and Security Updates for the prior version are moot.
    Friday, October 7, 2016 4:29 PM

All replies

Because if it installs Feature Updates first, the Quality and Security Updates for the prior version are moot.
    Friday, October 7, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Hi ,

Just as john.b_ said, do not worry about it. Windows will automatically proceed with the installation.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 10, 2016 2:21 AM
  • OK, that makes sense. Sometimes the "Feature Update" takes more than one attempt to install, to stick. When that type of Update (more of an upgrade, really - as it's a 4gig+ DL..) fails, I am angered that the previous updates (to 1511, in this case) weren't installed first. After 30 years of Windows (??!!??), the Update process still feels clunky & kludge; the downloads still take way too long to occur (whether or not I have the "get updates from other PCs turned on..). Why does the Update-Tech still download the "un-necessary" Updates first? Why doesn't it attempt to Update/Upgrade to 1607 first, instead of downloading the now "moot" updates to 1511 first? I manage over 40 PCs running Windows 10 & the behaviour occurs on most if not all of them. Either way, thank you for replying!
    • Edited by mikebtek Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:53 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for replying. I kind of knew what you & John mentioned - mainly to not worry. But, with all do respect, I do not feel like my question was answered. Don't get me wrong, I mean no dis-respect and really do appreciate your taking the time to reply.
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:50 PM