Secondary Site installion error RRS feed

• Question

• Installing a secondary site onto a Windows 2008 r2 server, all my prerequisites pass in the installation status screen.  It starts to download and install on the secondary site but after 6mins it creates 2 errors

Time Stamp                 Type                  Status               Description

21/6/12  13:17           Bootstrap         Failed                  Unable to initiaite setup with secondary site server bootstrap installation server

21/6/12  13:17           Bootstrap         Failed                  Secondary site server bootstrap installation service timed out.

Both than say check the ConfigMgrSetup and SMS_BOOTSTRAP.log    I have and get the following

SMS_BOOTSTRAP.log

FATAL ERROR: SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER is not running, setup must have failed, bootstrap procedure aborted!

ConfigMgrSetup.log

Cannot add local user group SMS_SiteSystemToSiteServerConnection_SMSProv_EDI to Domain Controller, error code = 5

ERROR: Failed to add local group SMS_SiteSystemToSiteServerConnection_SMSProv_EDI, Win32 error = 0

i believe the SMS_sitesystem entry is added to the system management container within AD, i have given the secondary site server full control of this container as required in the pre reqs.  But not sure now why it is still failing.  

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

• Ewwww, yuck! DCs should be DCs and only DCs.

For your site server to have access to the DC, the site server must be a domain admin because there is no other way to grant local admin privilieges on a DC (to my knowledge). Like I said, ewww yuck.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Monday, July 2, 2012 5:52 PM

All replies

• Error code 5 = Access Denied

Have you granted local admin privileges for the primary site server's AD computer on the desired secondary site system?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Error 5 =Access denied. Is the primary site server member of the local administrator group on the secondary site server? It is not related to the system management container (missing permissions there, will not prevent you from installing)

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:53 PM
  •  Cannot add local user group SMS_SiteSystemToSiteServerConnection_SMSProv_EDI to Domain Controller, error code = 5

Is it possible you install secondary on DC? I'm not sure if that is a supported scenario.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 10:04 AM
  • I am trying to install it onto a DC, but i have done this before and it installed fine eventually. We have 4 secondary sites and all but 1 of them only have the 1 main (DC) server on site. 

Also i found a cmd prompt that allowed me to add the SCCM main server computer account as a local admin on a DC. 

• Edited by Burtos Friday, June 29, 2012 2:20 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Ewwww, yuck! DCs should be DCs and only DCs.

For your site server to have access to the DC, the site server must be a domain admin because there is no other way to grant local admin privilieges on a DC (to my knowledge). Like I said, ewww yuck.

Monday, July 2, 2012 5:52 PM