none
Last Question Before Removing a DPM Disk RRS feed

• Question

• There are two volumes, one 3GB and the other 16GB, on the disk I’m about to remove from the 2010 DPM server called "DPM-Non VSS Datasource Writ(er)". I don’t really see any documentation on what they are for and how to move them to the new disk.

Do I need to worry about them?

Is there a way to move them?

The last thing I want is to remove the disk and have DPM throw up some errors appear that I cant fix without the other disk.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the following powershell script to migrate the data source to the new disk.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Did you ever get an answer for this?  I have the same issue.  Mike, I used the instructions below to migrate already, but the DPM-Non VSS Datasource Writ(er) volume remains even past the expiration date (all other volumes have been properly deallocated).  Is non vss data from Exchange, SharePoint or possibly System State?  What will happen if I remove the disk?
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

You can run the below SQL query to see if DPM knows about any volumes on the Disk# in question.  If this query returns no records, then you can manually delete the volumes on that disk, then revert it to basic before removing the disk from windows.  If the Validity column shows a value of 6, then the volumes were at one time migrated and for whatever reason DPM was not able to delete them.  If you are certain the RP's have expired , then again you can safely delete the volumes and DPM will not try to do anything with them and will not cause any problems.

use DPMDB
    select server.servername,datasource.datasourcename,extent.ExtentSize,volume.volumesize,disk.ntdisknumber,volume.usage as UsageIReplicaIIRp,replica.Validity, replica.datasourceid, Volume.GuidName,Volume.VolumeLabel,Volume.MountPointPath from tbl_SPM_Volume Volume
    join tbl_SPM_VolumeSet VolumeSet on VolumeSet.VolumeSetId=Volume.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_PRM_LogicalReplica Replica on Replica.PhysicalReplicaId=VolumeSet.VolumeSetId
    join tbl_IM_Datasource Datasource on Datasource.DatasourceId=Replica.DatasourceId
    join tbl_AM_Server Server on Server.ServerId=Datasource.serverid
    join tbl_SPM_Extent Extent on Extent.GuidName=Volume.GuidName
    join tbl_SPM_Disk disk on disk.DiskID=Extent.DiskID
    where disk.NTDiskNumber = #  -- where # is the windows disk number in question.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 4:59 PM