How to search for + plus signs RRS feed

• Question

• it seems that I managed to find the perfect crack to fall through.

my naming convention for my pictures cannot be searched with win 7 search... and i don't want to have to manually rename my 15 thousand photos....

for my favorite pictures I put a mark in the filename: + ++ or +++.
    xp had NO problem searching for plus signs, but win 7 considers it part of a search equation, like "".

many hours with tech support. I'm out of luck

any ideas?
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:27 AM

Answers

• well, someone came up with the answer quickly!! just surround them with asterisks... do a search for *+++* 
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:05 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:45 AM

All replies

• well, someone came up with the answer quickly!! just surround them with asterisks... do a search for *+++* 
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:05 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 6:45 AM
  • The asterisks trick didn't work for me, but the following did:

in the search bar, i typed

filename:+*.*

the following also worked:

filename:+*.

however, if i omitted the trailing period, it stopped working and just globbed everything on the drive.

i have no idea how the search bar works anymore, i wish someone would post a writeup!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Above suggestions don't work on my Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit version machine.
    I didn't try enabling natural search, but I do not fancy getting even more unrelated search results as I normally rely on the search results to be EXACT...!

Any other suggestions? (Short of getting (another) 3rd party solution for a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place!)

OT rant:
    Win 7 pi...s me off more and more. And I don't care what others say: My Win XP was running more stable than my Win 7 is! 
    I had my Win XP machine running non-stop for 4 months when I was overseas and accessed it only via remote session, including CPU heavy Video converting!
    I need to use Win 7-64Bit however since I have 16GB of Ram (I seriously consider Win XP 64Bit (However I guess this will bring a whole set of more incompatibility issues with it as well...)

Sunday, March 27, 2011 1:41 PM