Can someone help me fix my mistake? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I installed Visual C# 2010 Express which installed SQL Express R2. Then I installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services (64-bit) x64. After doing that I was not able to connect to the databases I had one named SQLEXPRESS and the other one SQLXPRESS. So I decided to uninstall both of the SQL Express. I was able to uninstall the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services (64-bit) x64 but I was not able to uninstall the SQL Express R2 so I uninstalled the Visual C# 2010 Express thinking that it would remove the SQL Express but it did not. Then I did a dumb thing I started deleting the SQL Express manually but I was not able to delete all bo the folders. Then to make things worse I emptied the Recycle Bin. 

Can someone help me fix my mistake? Any help would be appreciated  

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:03 PM

All replies

• Drhs,

Try with SQL Midia restore, or reinstall, i never saw something like this, but maybe it should help you...

------------------------------------------------------------- Oracle OCA11g
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Thank you Fabrizzio for your reply,

I have tried to install and uninstall the SQL Express R2 and with Advanced Services (64-bit) x64 a number of times and each time that I try to uninstall I can only uninstall the latest SQL Express that I installed leaving me with one copy which I can not uninstall.

What I am hope to have is a way that I can remove the remaining SQL Express folders (which I can't delete manually) so I can try to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services (64-bit) x64 and use the AdventureWorks database.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:29 PM
  •  

Hi Drhs,

Please try the below method to uninstall your SQL Server completely:

1. Remove all SQL Server components from 'Programs and Features'
    2. Backup the registry
    3. Delete the following keys in regedit:

--HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
      --HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall  and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server
    5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server
    6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer
    7. Reboot the machine

If there are any progress, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Thank you WeiLin for answering my post,

I have done what you sugested in your post but that did in fix the problem. I tried to install the SQL with Advancments and I can go as far as installing the setup files and the reg. key then it stops the install.

Then I installed the Visual C# 2010 and tried to connect to the Northwind database and I get an error: 26 Error locating Server/Interface Specified.

Again any help would be greatful

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:40 PM
  •  

Hi Drhs,

Please check what you have installed of SQL Server on your computer by the following one of the below methods and post it here,

• Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager

Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Configuration Manager -> SQL Server services

• Use the tool shipped with SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 - Installed SQL Server features discovery report:

• Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Installation Centre -> Tools -> installed SQL Server features discovery report
    • Run installation media -> SQL Server Installation Centre -> Tools -> installed SQL Server features discovery report

And regarding to the error 26, please make sure you have specified the correct instance name, and also please check the configuration of your Visual Studio(Tools - Option -> Database Tools -> Data Connections -> SQL Server Instance Name), for more detailed information, please refer this link.

Thanks,
    Weilin Qiao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Hello Welin,

Thanks for the latest help but the install must not be compleate because I do not have the first option {Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager}. I do have the tool that is shipped woth the SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 but when I run it the Command Prompt window blinks on and off, and I was not able to see any output. If there was a file created I can not find where the discovery report was placed. Also I do not have the installation media ->SQL Server Installation Center->Tools->installed SQL Server features discovery report.

I did find a SQL folder

• [User]\Documents\MSSQL10.EXPRESS

I am not allowed to delete, rename or change the attributes

I do not have the the the options that you listed. This is the only way I can use the Visual Studio(Tools->Connect to Database) and when I choose this option it displays this path

• [user]\Documents\MSSQL10.EXPRESS\MSSQL\Data

with the Northwind database as the only database to connect to

I want to thank you for all the help and advice that you have given

DRHS

Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:17 AM