none
Workstation & User migration from one domain to another without trust

Question

• Hi All,

Need help with below scenario.

Domain A - Has current workstation & users which will be moving to a new company ( Domain B)with the assets they are currently using .

There is no trust between two domains . Users will loose access to Domain A and its network once they come to new company.

I want to Migrate users & Workstations to Domain B also want make sure that they are not loosing any data from systems .

What are my options ? is there a 3rd party tool ( Agentless) which can help me to achieve it 

Kindly suggest 

regards

AB

Abhijeet Kulkarni

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, if there is no trust, migration would not be done. 
    If you establish the trust, you could use ADMT tool to migrate users and workstations:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11996.admt-3-2-interforest-migration-part-1.aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Hi

As mentioned best practice is configure trust between these forest,then migrate AD resources with ADMT.

but still need to migrate without trust,just you should export&import AD objects with LDIFDE without trust,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/555636

But you should manually migrate computers then.(for profiles.)you can use Forensit Migraton wizard for this;

https://www.forensit.com/downloads.html

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Hi Abhijeet,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 5, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Still looking for the right answer and 2 way Trust is not an option between 2 domain 

Abhijeet Kulkarni

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:43 PM
  • Hi,
    If trust is not the option, you may take a look to see if any third party tools might be working.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, May 15, 2017 1:35 AM
  • Hi Abhijeet,

There are few conditions which needs to be implemented if you are going to use ADMT for migration. 

To migrate users and global groups, you must establish a one-way trust between the source domain and the target domain, so that the source domain trusts the target domain.

To migrate resources or translate local profiles, you must do one of the following:

• Create a one-way trust between the source domain and the target domain.
    • Create a two-way trust between source and target domains.

Refer : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974380(v=ws.10).aspx

I don't think using LDIFDE will be a good option here. May be you can check if there are any third party applications that have option to migrate AD objects without Trust.

Monday, May 15, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Hi Abhijeet

WIth no trust I would create the users on the new domain and migrate the user profiles "manually" with USMTGUI or their Centralized solution "User Profile Central"

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:17 AM