none
Group Policy Aadministrative Templete

Question

• Hello,I have a requirement in my company...some applications are dependent on IE8 and some NEW application are dependent on IE11.As of now we have all machines with IE8..If i upgrade the IE to IE11 then IE8 application won't work and vise versa.

I cannot have both IE8 & IE11 on the same machine.Upon checking the Group Policy Templete found that windows 2008 R2 Domain controller does't support IE9 versions or higher.Google mentions to have group policy administrative Templete for IE11 and then enable enterprise mode,so application can run smooth..End user will have IE11 installed but old applications can still work same as it was before.

My question is : How to define this administrative templete in windows 2008 r2 server so group policy for IE11 can be managed easily,and are there any known issues if any.

Senior System Engineer.

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Kusuma,

Thanks for posting this issue.

This can be achieved by defining 2 dedicated gpo's for IE 8 & IE 11 respectively.

And secondly you have to define 2 WMI filters for the said GPO's you are going to configure and add them separately as per the IE preference and link to the desired GPO.

WMI Query sample :'SELECT *  FROM CIM_DataFile WHERE path="\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\" AND filename="iexplore" AND extension="exe" AND version>"10"'

In the above query you have to define the IE versions.

Trust this should help you.

• Proposed as answer by Prabhu Mallick Monday, January 5, 2015 5:41 AM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 5:41 AM