Disable Win 7 Welcome Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Looking to disable the Welcome screen on a WORKGROUP Win 7 Pro 64 SP1 such that it acts just like one would if joined to a Domain: Shows last user that logged in, but does not show all other accounts on the PC.  You gotta hit the Switch User -> Other User buttons then type the account name in.

I know this has been asked before, but the threads I see on it have the answer marked as "not possible".  I would think if this was impossible to do, then joining to a Domain shouldn't work like this, yes?  There must be registry settings somewhere that flip to allow it.

• Edited by FotS Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Fots,

I think I misunderstood something in the previous reply, I did more test and find the registry trick, please modify as below:

Please open registry editor, navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

under "ProfileList", create a new key ".default", then restart your pc, then you will achieve your goal.

After choosing switch user, you will be prompted a screen like this

Regards

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by FotS Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, seems that you want the logon screen acts like in XP, if so, navigate to Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options,  look for Interactive Logon: Do not display last user name, I tested it, should work fine

This link should be helpful for you

Understand and Configure the Welcome Screen and Classic Logon Screen

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff394947.aspx

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Not quite. It's close, but as I stated in the OP, I want it to remember the last user.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

I researched and tested but I'm afraid that it is impossible to achieve this goal, you can only choose the welcome screen with all of the users or display the classic login screen.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:16 AM
  • Well, even the "classic" logon screen of XP remembered the last user.

Nonetheless, it can't be "impossible".  How else does a Domain joined PC do it?  They're not separate OS's, nothing new or "special" gets installed or uninstalled (join and leave the domain, respectively) that allows this.  It's all already in there.

Friday, February 21, 2014 12:51 AM
  • Hi Fots,

I think I misunderstood something in the previous reply, I did more test and find the registry trick, please modify as below:

Please open registry editor, navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

under "ProfileList", create a new key ".default", then restart your pc, then you will achieve your goal.

After choosing switch user, you will be prompted a screen like this

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

• Marked as answer by FotS Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Thank you, Yolanda, the screenshot makes it look like that's what I'm looking for.  When I get home this evening I will make that change to my PC and see what happens.
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:30 PM
  • That's it!  Achieved the exact result I was looking for.  Thank you!
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:42 PM