Vista SP1 installation fail (dfsrprov.mfl) RRS feed

• Question

• During the install process Vista restarts then a black screen comes up with what I assume is several thousand files being replaced or copied. During this process I get (again what I assume) is a CRC error.

Here is the error as it appears:

!! 0xc0190036 !! 3580/90655 (dfsrprov.mfl)
           CRC error      file of files     file name <--- what I think the error is (this text does not appear in the error)

I was able to do a system restore to a previous restore point and have the system come back up but that no longer seems to be working.

Please no one post replies with "format and re-install". I know I can do that but I want to FIX this issue.

Thanks for any help,

SirO

MCSE, MCP+I, CNA
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hi SirOssis,

Thank you for posting here.

This issue mostly can be caused by corrupted file (dfsrprov.mfl) on the harddisk. I suggest you log in to command prompt and rename the file to dfsrprov.mfl.old, then try to install the SP1 again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SirOssis Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:25 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi SirOssis,

Thank you for posting here.

This issue mostly can be caused by corrupted file (dfsrprov.mfl) on the harddisk. I suggest you log in to command prompt and rename the file to dfsrprov.mfl.old, then try to install the SP1 again.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Robinson Zhang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SirOssis Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:25 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi SirOssis,

I would like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to try the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. I look forward to your further updates.

Thanks.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Yes that worked! Although after renaming the file I had several other files that needed to be renamed. Once I made it through the corrupted files the install worked 100%.

Thanks to all that helped.

MCSE, MCP+I, CNA
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:25 PM