none
Deploy PPS 2010 dashboard content to new server

Question

• Ok, maybe i have missed this or am doing something wrong.  In PPS 2007 this was extremely easy, but now it appears that in 2010 the workspace file is completely embedded with URL references that I am unable to simply save my items to a ddwx file and update the SharePoint URL.  I open up the ddwx file in a text editor and find tons of URL references throughout the file.  I go ahead and update them with the new location on a new server, but I am still unable to save the items to the new server.  It appears that since they are all associated with some sort of item reference like --> Location ItemUrl="/Data Connections/3_.000" ItemType="DataSource" that I am unable to modify and save the item to my new server.

What am I missing here.  All I want to do is redeploy my content to a new server and now this appears to be a very complex task or possibly not an option.  There has to be something I am missing, hopefully.  Please tell me that this is still possible and that I am just having one of those days.  Thanks.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:53 PM

Answers

• Last time I did migration it was very smooth, I copied my ddwx file from DEV server and imported all the items to QA server.

Have you guys tried importing items in a new dashboard file?

I think editing ddwx is not like it used to be in PPS2007 dswx file. Now you need to open a new dashboard file (already associated with PPS BI content lists) and imports items from the target ddwx file.

Hope it helps, else you can provide a scenario to test in my environment.

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Dan English Friday, October 29, 2010 10:09 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I don't have the answer, but I have exactly the same question! To date, I've been recreating the dashboards in each environment manually - Very frustrating indeed.

Rod.

Rod Colledge, SQL Server MVP | www.rodcolledge.com | www.sqlcrunch.com
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:36 PM
  • "Et tu, Brute?"

Too funny, I have been doing the exact same thing and I thought I must be crazy.  With 2007 it was so simple to replicate items between servers and I could quickly transfer items or setup a demo server with examples quickly.  The first time I tried this last month I was like what the heck?  I then opened up the ddwx file in a text editor and saw all of the URL references from the original SharePoint server I was using. 

I updated all of the URL references, but still no dice.  It seems like because I saved them and they were given an item number reference that this is preventing me from saving them to the new server.  This makes no sense to me. 

I am going to have to create a file that hasn't been saved yet to SharePoint and compare the items to see what else needs to be striped from the file to make this work.  Then a tool will need to be made to make this process a little more steamlined because this is not simple by any means unless we are both just missing something that is just not obvious to us.

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan English Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:46 AM typos
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Last time I did migration it was very smooth, I copied my ddwx file from DEV server and imported all the items to QA server.

Have you guys tried importing items in a new dashboard file?

I think editing ddwx is not like it used to be in PPS2007 dswx file. Now you need to open a new dashboard file (already associated with PPS BI content lists) and imports items from the target ddwx file.

Hope it helps, else you can provide a scenario to test in my environment.

• Marked as answer by Dan English Friday, October 29, 2010 10:09 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Oh my gosh.  That functionality completely slipped my mind.  Thanks so much for refreshing my memory:)  I was so used to the old way, tough to break old habits I guess.

Thanks again.

Import PerformancePoint Dashboard 2010 content from a SharePoint Server 2010 server, site, or list - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee661744.aspx

Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

I need to migrate a dash board, Can I know how we can migrate from a Dev server to QA Server? I didnt get the way.

I have imported it to local m/c. then how to migrate to QA server.

Can any one help me out in detail please.

Thank you,

Reddy

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Did you take a look at the link I provided?

Import PerformancePoint Dashboard 2010 content from a SharePoint Server 2010 server, site, or list - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee661744.aspx

Simply connect to the QA Server with Dashboard Designer and then use the import option on the Home tab of the designer.  This will talk you through a wizard and you will reference your ddwx file that you created from your other server.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Dan,

Thank you very much, I  got it..

One more question, taking time dimension in columns, but not able to drill down to monthly level for the targets values( targets from excel sheets).

Reddy

Thursday, November 4, 2010 10:52 PM
  • ok, i follow the steps of importing items in the dashboard designer. all works well if i am doing that between 2 BI sites on the same server. the moment i try this on a different Sharepoint 2010 server than the one the original workspace was generated from, i get:

"An error occured while reading workspace file '[path to file]'. Please verify that this is a valid workspace file."

error.

is it posisble to move the dashboards i created on one server (over 20) to another sharepoint server? both are same version, same edition and same service packs (actually the machine i created them on is a virtual machine clone of the destination server - so it has the same server name, just different subnet IP).

thanks.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Yes you can move dashboards, kpi, reports etc from one SharePoint server to another. Check if you have atleast contributors rights onto the target sharepoint server.

Try creating an empty PPS workspace on target sharepoint server and import directly from source sharepoint server's BI content list (given you have access).

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:03 PM
  • I did that.

I checked and the user i am using as full control over the site. I also did the steps you indicate: open a new dashboard workspace from the performance point content folder on the server i plan to deploy my dashboards to and then sleect Import Items.

i still get the error of "Please verify that this is a valid workspace file."

i tried the exact same thing on a different site on the srouce server and the Import Items works.

thanks.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I figured out the problem, it turned out that the workspace file was large that in moving it between the two servers it was getting corrupted. i noticed the xml not well-formatted in the file on the destination server. compressing the file and moving it solved the problem.

thansk for your help Umair.Khan

Monday, August 22, 2011 6:16 PM