Backup & Restore problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have backed up my computer (Vista Home Premium) a few times now onto an external 500GB hard drive. Vista's Backup & Restore Center claims that a complete backup has successfully executed, however my own observations do not support this claim. Here are the details:

Primary Hard Drive (C): 107 GB Used
    Secondary Hard Drive (D): 92.4 GB Used

External Backup Hard Drive (G): 185.64 GB of visible files. (Hidden files and system file viewing are turned on.)
    External Backup Hard Drive (G): 398 GB Used

As you can see, there is a very significant difference between the files that I can see on the hard drive and what Windows claims is being used. To make matters worse, the 185.64 GB of files that I can see are all files that I have manually placed on the hard drive, not ones that have been put there by Backup & Restore Center. So here is my questions:

• How can I verify that the 212 GB of mystery file usage is from Vista's Backup & Restore Center?
    • If this space is used by B&RC, why can't I see the files in Explorer?
    • It is very important that the backup be completed, and I would like to browser the backup files to make sure that everything is there. How can this be done?

If I have misunderstood how B&RC works, then please correct me. But right now I am very confused about the HUGE discrepancy of file usage and the mystery nature of the backup.

Thank you.

Sunday, February 8, 2009 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Ultragames,

There is a separate forum on Windows and Windows Server backup & restore features. I would encourage you to re-post your query in that forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/threads/

Thanks,
    Christine

Christine Fok, Program Manager, Storage Solution Division This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:04 AM