Some Basic Questions About MAP 8.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

1. Can MAP be configured so that it analyzes only 1 server? I don't want it to scan every machine on the network. Is this possible?

2. I plan to install MAP 8.5 on my Utility server. But need to configure MAP to assess 1 other specific server.  Is this possible?

3. Will MAP tell me what software is installed on that server? I assume the info is displayed via Reporting Services reports. that correct?

Thanks for helping a MAP beginner.
    Monday, December 30, 2013 10:16 PM

All replies

• Wow, I'm surprised that no one (yet) answered your simple question.

Yes!  MAP can inventory a targeted number of devices via the 'Named List' function.  It will use a txt file of he device names and use that exclusively.

MAP doesn't necessarily have a device specific report to show you ALL software on a specific device, but that data would be easy to find within the MAP Database, which you can poke at with SQLServer Mgmt Studio Express (free!).

Or reach out to me  Steve@AssetLabs.com   and I will give you the query that we use here

Cheers

Steve at AssetLabs.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:04 AM
    1. Yes. To do this, you would choose either the manual entry or the import from a text file as the discovery method.
    2. MAP is designed to inventory remote machines, so yes, that is possible.
    3. Yes it will. For a summary count of what MAP found in an environment, you can go to the Environment scenario group and click on the Windows computers tile. Then generate that report. You can also manually export the data into Excel for a computer-by-computer view. These blog posts discuss how to do that:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mapblog/archive/2013/01/28/how-to-get-a-computer-by-computer-view-of-installed-software-using-the-map-toolkit.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mapblog/archive/2013/08/21/how-to-isolate-the-software-you-want-from-map-s-installed-products-view.aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:18 PM