none
Linux/Debian - cannot change ISO

Question

• Hello,

I'm currently trying to install Debian Linux on a Hyper-V VM. While I had installed various Windows-VMs before, I never encountered this problem.

So the Debian comes on 3 DVD ISOs. The first is the actual OS and required, the other two contain additional optional software. During the installation, it reads in the first DVD/ISO and then asks me if further DVDs should be read. If I choose yes, it asks me to remove the current DVD and replace it with another one. And here's the problem: I can't.

Like I said, it's actually an ISO that's mounted in the VM. Trying to change the ISO via VM settings while the VM is running results in the following error:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Error while changing the device "Virtual CD/DVD Disk".

The media could not be changed as they are currently locked by the guest OS.
    --------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe that the guest OS would ask me to change DVDs while at the same time locking them so I can't change them.

Mounting all three ISOs at the same time does not work, as it only seems to see the first one during the installation.

Is there anything I can do here?

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I can't believe that the guest OS would ask me to change DVDs while at the same time locking them so I can't change them.

Based on my understanding , that behavior may be caused by ISO file .

If it is possible , I'd suggest you to download a single ISO file for Debian installation .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 11:50 AM