SONY VAIO VGX-XL202 Free Resources Issue with NVIDIA 7600GT on VISTA RRS feed

• Question

• Help!

I recently upgraded my xl202 to Vista. Joy to the world! At least it started...

My nvdia 7600gt doesn't work because of a "not enough free resources" issue; appareantely this is related to the Bios which needs to be updated by Sony.

On the vaio-link website I downloaded the so-called fresh update for the BIOS (name M4003003). Fine till there; I launce the file and receive following message: "WBFLASH: Cannor read the system information" by which it means: I didn't do a thing.

I tried starting it up in a dos-box (both in windows and with a safe command prompt, but nothing helps).

Can anybody help me here?

tx

PS: in the meanwhile my soundcard isn't working as well, but since we're talking about the resource issue, I imagine this is the same root cause.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:21 PM

All replies

• I also needed to upgrade my BIOS after I upgraded to Vista because ASUS released a new version. I tried using the WBFLASH utility, as well as a few other similar utilities, but they don't appear to work under Vista, which is what I had expected. Applications that need to so closely interact with the hardware layer need to be rewritten for Vista.

I was able to upgrade the BIOS with the ASUS LiveUpdate utitlity. It's a full-blown windows app with a nice GUI and everything, and it works perfectly in Vista. Sony may have released something similar, but at any rate, it might be worth it to try the ASUS utility, since such utilities are often cross-compatible.

If you can't find anything that works, create a boot disk. If you have a floppy drive that would help a lot, but you can also do it with a flash drive. When you format the floppy, check the box that says to make it bootable. This should create a working boot disk. If that doesn't work, try downloading one (any bootdisk will do), and use a program like MagicISO to make it bootable. Reboot your computer from the floppy or from your memory stick (you can set this by bringing up the boot menu during start-up, often by hitting F8, or by changing the boot sequence in your BIOS). Note that your memory stick must be inserted before you boot up your computer in order for this to work.

Before you reboot, make sure that your boot media also contains the new BIOS image that you downloaded from SONY, as well as a DOS-based BIOS flash utility. (WBFLASH should come with a DOS version).

The key is that you will need to run this utility from the DOS prompt that you'll boot into - since you're booting from the new boot media, Windows does not come into play at all. If you get a Windows screen asking if you want to boot into Safe Mode or the Command Prompt, that means that this didn't work. Your boot disk, if set up correctly, should boot you directly into  a DOS prompt, without ever touching Windows. If you're in doubt, disconnect your hard drive temporarily, since it's not needed for this operation.

If creating a boot disk and booting from it fails for some reason, you can also try booting from a Linux LiveCD, such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, or even the "Ultimate Boot CD". These operating systems can be freely downloaded on the web and allow you to boot into a graphical user interface or a Linux command prompt from a single CD or DVD. I found that on newer systems without a floppy drive, this is often much easier. These distributions usually include BIOS flash utilities, but if they don't, you can easily download one for free from the web for your distribution.

Lastly, your sound card problem is probably unrelated. I too had the problem of having to painstakingly find new audio drivers for my on-board SoundMax audio chipset. ASUS luckly released a new version for Vista x64 which does work, but it only works for the two front speakers, it doesn't work for 5.1 surround. Let me know what kind of sound card or audio chipset you have and I'll see if I have any ideas.

Good luck!

--Patrick
    http://inmyholyopinion.com
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Hello Patrick,

Can you let me know which BIOS version you used to upgrade ? And did you use this on the XL202 since it seemed to me that there is a special version of the Awardbios in this PC ?

Regards,

Lein

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:34 AM
  • Lein:
    I don't have a SONY computer, I have a custom-built one. The BIOS update that I installed was released by my motherboard's manufacturer, ASUS (http://asususa.com). BIOS images are not always cross-compatible among different motherboards; it looks like your motherboard uses the Award BIOS, whereas my motherboard uses a BIOS supplied by American Megatrends (http://www.ami.com/amibios/), and therefore you can't use my BIOS image.

You are correct that the BIOS upgrades that are available for download are often specific to a particular PC model, especially with SONY VAIOs, which are known to be highly customized by the manufacturer.

Even if your computer is no longer under warranty, I think it's worth trying to call SONY customer service, if you get a person on the line that can help you, they will be able to immediately tell you which BIOS version you need and where to get it. They will probably also walk you through creating a boot disk or doing whatever you need to do to get your BIOS upgraded.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help with this question...good luck!

--Patrick
    http://inmyholyopinion.com
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:37 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem with my xl202. Have you tried reverting to XP and running the BIOS-upgrade again?

I know it's a hassle, but maybe it could be the way to go.

Looking forward, to hear about your progress.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Tx Patrick for your extensive solutions...

Unfortunately I did not achieve by this way because I wasn't able to start up through a memory stick and whilst starting with and Win'98 CD I was not able to run the BIOS upgrade tool (which is made for XP I presume and I did not find a tool for BIOS upgrade for EXACTLY the indeed very specific adapted SONY pc).

Dommeren,

Reverting to XP is for me just one step to far, I already lost so many time solving this issue (where AND Sony AND Microsoft blame each other) + I've installed so much soft which is already personalised that I just want to dor the freakin' upgrade.

I just received an email from vaio-support which translates in:

"You can find the drivers for Vista for the XL202 at

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/os/vista/upgrade.html "

Unfrtunaly, you guessed it, this is the link already known for a long time with the bios-upgraede tool that does not help.

I propose that we unite as XL202 owners and all open an incident at vaio-link to boost the pressure...

Perhaps an ILOVESONYBUTNEEDMYUPDATEDBIODRIVERURGENTLY.COM website?

Let's keep on hoping...

Thank you all for the mental support :-) WE SHALL OVERCOME

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:02 PM
  • I have the same "WBFLASH: Cannor read the system information"  error on my XL201.

Have you got an update on the issue

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:47 PM
  • I've got it sorted.

Basically go here:

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/OS/VistaUpgrade/BIOS/XL2/MRBI4003.003/ 

And download the zippped version. This is a dos version. So create a bootable CD with the extracted files. Boot the PC from the CD and run 1.bat.

Bios upgrades no problem.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Cool!

Booted in DOS from a floppy device (USB), ran the BIOS-upgrade, and now the resouces issue in Vista is history.

Thx.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:12 AM
  • thanks hah,

this looks like the answer to my problems, could you please give more detailed procedure as I am not very confident working with bios.

thanks again, davekas

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:11 PM
  • davekas just use any medium to boot off into dos. I used CD and just created a bootable CD with Nero which contained the unzipped files.

Then once you boot off the CD and get to the dos prompt type 1.bat. This does everything automatically and there's no need to know what you're doing.

Regards.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for the answer!

Now, if someone can tell a stupid guy as myself how I can create a bootable CD without having an old windows or DOS version?

Please make day!

tx!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Insert a blank floppy. In XP go to A: and right-click, format. Select the option to create a bootable dos disk.

Once created go to it and delete everything except msdos.sys io.sys and command.com. Copy all the exracted files to the floppy.

I use Nero and here you go to create a bootable CD-Rom selecting 'Bootable Logical Drive' A:\. Leave defaults.

Make sure the floppy is still inserted and burn.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:07 AM
  • This worked!

Thx a lot!!!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:07 PM
  • hah,

i don't have floppy drive or xp. could you send me a copy of the bootable cd with the unzipped files? i would of course cover your costs, i can't see any other way out of this!

thanks,

davekas

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Go to the thread below and download the zip file (The second one listed, as the first one failed in uploading). It's an ISO I created. Extract and just open it up with your recording software and burn.

http://club.vaio.sony.pt/clubvaio/PT/pt/forum/viewthread?thread=39671&offset=0

Then just boot from it.

Good luck!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:04 PM
  • hah,

I have downloaded your iso and have successfully upgraded bios. 7600gt now working fine! thank you so much.

don't suppose you know why tv tuner can't be found under vista? have upgraded to vista driver.

thanks again,

davekas

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:37 AM
  • Hi all, I have the same problem with my VGX-XL201 except I've made it worse because I didn't read these threads beforehand. I upgraded to Vista this morning and when I hat the free resources issue, I ran from within Vista. It crashed and after half an hour I switched off the PC, and now I have corrupted my BIOS.

I have burned sony.iso to a CD but there's only one visible file on it - changelog.txt. If I could boot from it there wouldn't be a problem but I can't even get the slot loading DVD drive to accept the disc. I think my PC is now so badly broken that the only thing that might save me is a bootable floppy disk. I have a USB floppy drive but no floppy disks so I need to get some of those, but the trouble is I can't now get at the files I need to put on the floppy.

M4003003.exe won't run on my non-Sony laptop, and I can't get into my Sony media centre to extract the files. If anybody who is reading this can help out here I'd be extremely grateful - what I need is somebody with a working Sony machine to run M4003003.exe and extract the files for making a bootable DOS disk (i.e. including 1.bat which I keep hearing about) and zip them up for me. Then I should be able to make a bootable floppy and with any luck overwrite my corrupt BIOS.

-William
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Well, I managed to get hold of the files needed here and unfortunately I haven't managed to recover my corrupt BIOS despite about 100 tries with various versions of AWDFLASH.EXE and various configurations on the floppy disc. Looks like I'll be sending my PC away for a BIOS chip replacement.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:08 PM
  • Hiya, does anyone have the zip file for the Bios update? as the website link earlier in this post only shows the exe file available!

Thanks in anticipation

Christian

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Hi William,

did you manage to get your bios repaired? if so, how did you get it done? i'm going through the same process as you appear to have been through! its very frustrating.

Please shed some light on this.......

Thanks

Christian

Thursday, December 6, 2007 11:12 PM
  •  

dude, I need help. I've downloaded your work (bootable cd and 1.bat thing) but no luck. My screen goes blank everytime I near completion of installation of Vista.

Talk to me.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Friday, September 19, 2008 5:10 AM
  • hah - 6 years on.

As has happened to me pretty consistently over the past 6 years, the Sony Vaio forums are playing up again - it requires me to complete and submit  a profile the process of which isn't working. Maybe Blencogo reads here? This thread, whilst old, is up my street and I do hope some people are still reading it.

I have had three XL 201s for six years and, on the advice/experience of others, have never used the Vista upgrade discs and had no problems until recently. Two have just lost their displays and I'm currently trying to sort out the very common replacement card NVidia driver install problems that are described in many places elsewhere.

Anyway, a series of short power surges/cuts trashed the XP registry of my third machine with another common problem that, typically, isn't easy or straightforward to resolve so I figured this is the time to install Vista - weird that it is now two generations out of date but I suppose with service packs etc it will be better now than six years ago.

You know what's coming next - it's all above. From what I read elsewwhere, the new Bios would be installed as part of the Vista install (it isn't) and because I hadn't got a boot CD and the old BIOS doesn't support booting from USB, I decided to install Vista first.

All went well in fact - apart from the Code 12 (can't find enough resources - for the graphics card) - so now on to the BIOS update.

M4003003 didn't install (problem as in above posts) either direct from Vista or in safe mode. I had previously created (6.22 and 98) boot discs but nothing i could find (with the MSCDex drivers) would find and install drivers for the VAIO CD (neither SATA or IDE drivers worked and tbh I'm not sure what the VAIO CD unit is). So, as soon as I ejected the boot CD, I couldn't run M4003003 from DOS via another CD.

I rather wanted to try the ZIP (DOS) version mentioned above but, like Christian six years ago, found it's not there.

So, does anyone have a suggestion - eg an ISO they made that includes MS-DOS boot files and the M4003003 BIOS files that will allow me to run the flashing process?

In anticipation, my email address is ajdroberts at aol dot com or, better (for others), post a link here.

TIA,  Andy R

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:54 AM
  • One day on and I've found a boot disk that works - three others wouldn't get me to the point where I couldn run a program from either a CD or USB.

Magic Boot Disk Iso v2 worked so as to give me access to a USB memory stick (in place at boot up, I didn't try inserting it after a boot. Interestingly, the ISO hung when looking for USB devices if I selected having USB support (Option 3) but by leaving it on the default Option 2 I found that I had got a useable USB stick.

But, typically, and unsurprisingly, the only download option for the latest BIOS from Sony is a Windows program that won;t run in DOS.

So, I still need the DOS based version of the BIOS upgrade mentioned above - where might it be??

Andy

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:47 AM