SCCM 2012 Uninstallation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need to uninstall both SCCM 2012 site servers (CAS  & Primary). I have 90 machine in my environment on which SCCM clients are installed.

Before uninstllation :

1. DO I need to uninstall SCCM clients from all systems?

2. Is there any way to uninstall clients remotely?

3. What is the best practices for SCCM 2012 clean uninstallation from my environment.

4. Do I need to delete System Management folder from AD?

5. How to validate for clean uninstallation?

Here your valuable inputs on above queries are much appreciated.

• Edited by RinkuGarg Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Answers

• #1: yes, if you do no longer want to manage them
    #2: ccmsetup.exe /uninstall will remove them. You can trigger that remotely (e.g. psexec.exe)
    #3: run ConfigMgr setup and select the option to uninstall
    #4: yes if there are no other ConfigMgr sites publishing to this forest
    #5: basically if no more ConfigMg services are running

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:28 AM

All replies

• #1: yes, if you do no longer want to manage them
    #2: ccmsetup.exe /uninstall will remove them. You can trigger that remotely (e.g. psexec.exe)
    #3: run ConfigMgr setup and select the option to uninstall
    #4: yes if there are no other ConfigMgr sites publishing to this forest
    #5: basically if no more ConfigMg services are running

• Proposed as answer by Gerry HampsonMVP Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:39 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Suppose if I go for SCCM installation again after 1 week on same machines with SITE SERVER backup then What would be your answers for Q1 and Q4?

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Suppose if I go for SCCM installation again after 1 week on same machines with SITE SERVER backup then What would be your answers for Q1 and Q4?

Why would you uninstall and 1 week later decide to install it back?

If that could be the case then i would suggest to keep the clients installed for the whole week instead of uninstalling them. The network traffic involved to install the client can be high (depending on your network connection and number of clients).

The System Management container can be easily recreated that won't be an issue if you delete it. It will be repopulated within seconds as soon as you reinstall and restore your server.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Hi,

We are facing a issue in our environment due to that we need to go for uninstallation and reinstallation.

The below is the issue

SCCM Service movement

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:30 AM
  • If you are sure about installing the server back and restoring the backup then keep the clients on your workstations.

As soon as CM is operationnal again they will be able to communicate with your server.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:04 AM
  • How many clients will you be managing in total then? A CAS will not be needed most likely, so you should consider using a standalone primary instead.
    There's no need to delete the System Management container itself then (but the content; all entries that belong to the uninstalled site). You can also leave the clients installed then.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Thanks Torsten,

We will manage approx 150 clients. Our datacenters are in two diffrent country.  Our SCCM CAS and primary site servers are in US. Out of 150 client machines, 60 client machines are in UK and 90 client machines are in US. During patching activity UK machines take more time to download patches and installed from Distribution Point.  that is why we are planning to install new Distribution point in UK in CAS site heirechy. Please let me know If we can manage it by standalone primary site alone?

Once again than you very much for your valuable inputs here:)

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 11:34 AM
  • A standalone primary can handle up to 100.000 clients, so a CAS would be overkill in your scenario.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:35 PM