none
Project Server 2007 - Shift database from One Server configuration to Two Server Configuration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have already done with standalone installation of Project Server 2007 on my machine.

Now I want to keep my machine with Project server on it but I want to shift/move databases to other machine (has SQL 2008 installed).

Is it possible to perform this taks ?

If yes, could anyone please give the steps of how to perform this activity ?

If no, Do I have to start new installtion all together ?

I read following: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/01438cc8-8fd6-4acd-844a-eadd2be789a5

But it is giving information where there is already seperate Project server and database server but my case is different.

Please reply.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Standard installation use SQL server express edition and all services run under either local service or network service.

In this scenario best approach would be

1. Take full farm backup

2. Disconnect the server

3. Uninstall Project Server and re-install the same (Don’t use standalone option this time)

If possible you can use new server

4. Setup permissions on new SQL server

5. Create new SharePoint Config database on new SQL server

6. Start Project Service

7. Using “Backup Restore” option, complete the restoration using farm back up taken in step 1

Hrushikesh Deshpande – Senior EPM Infrastructure Consultant, www.DeltaBahn.com

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi Hrushikesh, Thanks for reply. We have changed our strategy of installation, first we want work with Farm installtion if it works properly. Then we will migrate as per steps provided by you. But I am facing issue while doing that, please help me out. -------------------------------------------- Following is Overview of system that I used to install Project Server 2007 Farm. Overview of system: 1. Farm has two server, Server-A & Server-B with Windows Server 2008 R2. 2. Server-B has SQL server 2008 installed. 3. Server-A has Project server installed. 4. For setting up farm and connecting to database we used domain login eg. domain_name\userA Note: domain user - UserA is administrator on Server-A & Server-B I am able to install Project server 2007 on with connecting to database on Server-B while configuration. I checked all databases on SQL server are created which are: ProjectServer_Archive,ProjectServer_Draft,ProjectServer_Published,ProjectServer_Reporting,SharedServices1_DB,SharePoint_Config,WSS_Content,WSS_Search_ServerA I created SSP and PWA site. But when I access PWA site I am getting follwing error. -------------------------------- The request failed: [WebException: 404 HTTP status. ] Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PSIProxyBase.InvokePSI(String serviceName, String methodName, Object[] parameters) +265 Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.WebServiceProxy.PWA.SecurityCheckUserPagePermission(Guid pageUid) +260 Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage.CheckPagePermission() +192 Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.PJBaseWebPartPage.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +99 System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +42 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) ------------------------------------ Event viewer entry is follwing: EventID: 6058 Task Category: Project Server Error Message : Project Server (http://server-A/PWA) Failed to get language information. Could anyone please tell us whats went wrong ? Issue seems to be with access rights ? Thanks !
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Hello,

What is the status of PWA site , (Provovisioned or failed)

Are you able to access PWA site from different system other than Server A or B

On Both the server add DisableLoopBackCheck registry

Refer following KB (use Method 2)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

Reset IIS once

Hrushikesh Deshpande – Senior EPM Infrastructure Consultant, www.DeltaBahn.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Hi Hirishi, Actually I have tried to uninstall and install Office 2007. And it worked. Thanks for your help !
    Friday, March 9, 2012 11:52 AM