none
IE 10 hangs opening favorites bar for 30 seconds - subfolders only RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 10 hangs for me for me when I open up the favorites menu.  The favorites menu will hang for approx. 30 seconds, and then it returns to normal (and subsequent opens work without any issues).  If I open a new tab, same thing.  The tab's favorites hang for 30 seconds, then functions normally.  This only happens when there is a subfolder in the favorites list.  If there is no folder, then there is no problem.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions for how to fix it?  Quite frustrating as this is a new machine and I use a lot of favorites nested in subfolders.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:26 PM

Answers

• Uninstall followed by a reinstall of SkyDrive fixed the problem.  Can't get it to repro at the moment to dig any further.  During install I selected the "access my files from any PC" option and the old PC is registered on SkyDrive for me to access from anywhere.  This is the only reference that I can think of that SkyDrive might have had to that old PC.  But if anyone else hits this, try the uninstall/reinstall.  Very possible I'll hit the same issue once SkyDrive is done resynchronizing.
    • Marked as answer by chroulan Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue occur in noaddons mode?

Do you have the cloud storage addon from one.com? Do you have any other addons that are of the same nature (online storage of your favorites). the one.com cloud storage addon is not compatible with IE9 and 10, uninstall it... use the free SkyDrive online service or download the SkyDrive for Windows from Live Essentials. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/skydrive/download

Normally IE would only read the contents of the Favorites folder and sub-folders once when the Favorites menu is clicked and update that list in memory to sync with the file system (if a favorite is added to the folder by the Windows shell for example)....

the more shortcut files (.url, .ico, .*) you have in a folder, the longer IE will take to read the list, (the first time favorites is displayed).... If you pin the favorites bar, the next time you close and restart IE, it will take longer to load, because it is also reading the contents of your Favorites folder to build the pinned list).

I use the "Favorites Bar" to temporarily hold the shortcuts that I am immediately interested in... Then occasionally I will select the Favorites>Manage Favorites menu to move items from my favorites bar folder into a permanent sub-folder under favorites...

Also the IE Smart Address bar autocomplete features (INternet Options>content tab>Autocomplete "Settings" button, check "Favorites" and "History" for autocomplete options) displays matches from all your shortcuts in the Favorites and sub-folders, that match what you type in... this is quicker than manually/visually searching through your favorites folders.

If this is occurring on a corporate domain, contact your System administrators or Help desk.... on corporate domains (company computers) your favorites are not stored on your local drive, but on a shared drive or folder.... you system administrators will need to create the share during your windows startup, so that access is granted immediately when you try to access the folders from your client machine. (see also this thread (two below this) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ieitprocurrentver/thread/13f5ead8-2dd8-45d5-b735-09b589f73234

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I'm definitely getting closer.  With my wireless network adapter turned off, accessing my favorites works just fine (no hang).  This pointed me to some sort of a network call.  I repro'd the scenario with wireshark running and noticed DNS queries going to another one of my machines that USED to be on the corporate network (no longer).  Diving into this further I see traffic firing every time I open up my favorites to this old machine (and no traffic going to that machine at any other time).

My favorites directory is stored locally on my PC.  I've got them all backed up with SkyDrive running, but have the files themselves copied locally and IE is in fact looking into that directory.  I am certainly leaning towards SkyDrive doing something funny in the background though.  I'll keep digging.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Uninstall followed by a reinstall of SkyDrive fixed the problem.  Can't get it to repro at the moment to dig any further.  During install I selected the "access my files from any PC" option and the old PC is registered on SkyDrive for me to access from anywhere.  This is the only reference that I can think of that SkyDrive might have had to that old PC.  But if anyone else hits this, try the uninstall/reinstall.  Very possible I'll hit the same issue once SkyDrive is done resynchronizing.
    • Marked as answer by chroulan Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear this issue has been solved. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:23 AM
  • This did not fix my problem but here is what did:

Computer is running Windows 8 with IE10. Symptoms were as described above. Solution was to remove hidden files in favorites subfolders named .AppleSyncInfo which were there as a result of syncing an IOS device and having the sync bookmarks option enabled in iTunes. This also fixed a problem with Java I was having with Pogo games web site.

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:50 PM