How do MS Office Applications store Outlook Messages RRS feed

• Question

• We have a document management system in which we keep all our governance records (among other things). Part of the governance process required the embedding of approval emails into the document. Does anyone know how MS Office applications store the email? Is it as a link to the original email (ie. in the user's mailbox) or as a separate embedded *.msg? Or something else?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, July 2, 2017 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you provide more details about your query so that we can understand it more clearly?

What does "the embedding of approval emails" refer to in your description? Do you mean attached email messages?

In general, text, attachments, formatting, embedded graphics, etc. are stored as part of an individual email message, which are all stored in Outlook data file if you have the emails cached/downloaded.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Hi Steve, and thanks for your response. Every governance document (usually a *.docx) has to have evidence of approval, which comes by way of an email from the approver to the author's inbox. Said email is then dragged and dropped into the *.docx as evidence of approval.  <o:p></o:p>

It is this dragging and dropping of the email into the *.docx that I'm asking about. Does the email get stored in the *.docx so that if I then save the document into our document management system the email goes with it, or will I lose the email if there is no longer a 'link' to the author's inbox (for example if the author were to leave for another role at a different company)

Thanks

Mike

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:00 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Apologize for the delay. The dragging/dropping is actually a saving process. Emails you dragged to the documents should be saved as separate .msg file which you can then open without a connection to the author's mailbox.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, July 31, 2017 9:47 AM
    Monday, July 31, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I think I must be missing something here. I can't see the .msg file in the document storage folders, only the document itself. Now when I open the document and then open the email that has been embedded in the document, the email opens, no problem.

I guess that my question is this: if the sender or the recipient of the original email leaves the organisation and his mailbox is deleted, does that embedded email no longer open? Is there some sort of link to the original email in the guy's mailbox?

Mike

Monday, July 31, 2017 6:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

The .msg files you saved or embedded in documents are just separate files. The files should be able to open even the original mailbox has been removed. You can also try copying the .msg file to an computer which have no access permission to your internal resource, you should still be able to open the .msg file.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 7, 2017 9:47 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 9:46 AM