AppV 4.6: Application needs to start after completion of installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've an application where it needs to start after completion of installation.

During Sequencing, at the time of installation there is a prompt where it'll ask us whether the application needs to launch after the completion of installation.

I've checked that option. The application is launched after installation during sequencing. But, it's not started after the installation in client.

Is there a way to get it done.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:18 AM

Answers

• Hello,

App-V can not perform that. The user can start the application using a shortcut (or if using App-V 5; any supported virtual extension).

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Vinodreddy597 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Aaron,

I'm really sorry that I was totally confused.

I'm installing the application( Sequenced MSI ) to client, right?

I've checked the option to start the application after completion of installation. and yes it's started after installation during sequencing. But the same needs to happen when I install the sequenced application in client, right?

So, the application must start after installation as I've already checked that option.

When they install the application they want this application to start after the completion of installation.

No, you're installing the App-V package, which is a different thing to installing the application. You install the application during sequencing, so the process to start the application only needs to occur when sequencing the application. It does not need to occur when installing the App-V package.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:35 PM

All replies

• What version of App-V are you using?
    • If the application starts after sequencing on the sequencing VM, what is the need to start the application after adding to the client?
    • How are you deploying packages to the client?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

I'm using AppV 4.6 SP1.

It is mentioned in the install instructions that they need the application to start after completion of installation.

I'm not publishing the application. I'm testing the application by installing the standalone MSI in client Machine.

Thank You.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:08 AM
  • When deploying a package to a client you aren't installing, so there should be no need to run the application on the client after deployment of the package. That process of starting the application after install has already been completed when sequencing the app.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Aaron,

I've checked the option to start the application after completion of installation. and yes it's started after installation during sequencing. But the same needs to happen when I install the sequenced application in client, right?

So, the application must start after installation as I've already checked that option.

When they install the application they want this application to start after the completion of installation.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hello,

App-V can not perform that. The user can start the application using a shortcut (or if using App-V 5; any supported virtual extension).

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Aaron,

No, you're installing the App-V package, which is a different thing to installing the application. You install the application during sequencing, so the process to start the application only needs to occur when sequencing the application. It does not need to occur when installing the App-V package.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:35 PM
  • Aaron,

Thanks a lot.

I understand that even that the option to launch the application is checked it happened during sequencing and so even if i install the sequenced application it'll not launch after installation.

Could you please let me know if I've any other option to make the sequenced application run after installation?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Thank You, Aaron and Nicke.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:23 PM