Numbers in cross reference are incorrect when saved to PDF or printed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm writing a document on MS Word 2010. and I'm using the Heading 1, 2, 3 and other styles.

And I'm using lots of cross references, in page body an in page header.

When using it on word every thing seems to be fine, more precisely the heading number in the cross reference in the page header is displayed correctly.

But the problem appears when I try to save the file as PDF of if I try to print it, then all the heading number in the cross reference in the page header switches to display 0 (a zero) instead of the correct number in the PDF file, printed version, and in the word file.

So I wonder if you can kindly help me to correct this and keep the numbers in the cross reference displayed and printed correctly.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

• Edited by omo_5 Friday, November 22, 2013 2:45 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi

What did the document look like in your Print preview?

I have tested in my machine and both converting to PDF and the print preview show me a good result.

I would recomemnd you start Word in safe mode(Hold "Ctrl" key and click into the program), create a new blank document and copy some of the contents to check the issue.

If the issue persisits, do a repair for your Office suites in Control panel>Program and features>Office>Change>Repair

Best regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by omo_5 Monday, December 2, 2013 2:28 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Printing may force an update of the cross-references. If you update a cross-reference field manually (select the cross-reference and press F9), then what happens?

If it updates to zero, something has happened with the reference source.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TylorWang Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:54 AM
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:14 PM
  • If it turns out that the cross-references are in fact incorrect, you will have to recreate them.

For future reference, note that Word creates cross-references by enclosing the referenced paragraph in a hidden bookmark. If you add content, or press Enter, at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, the bookmark will expand to include more text (and/or more paragraphs). To work around this limitation, always add content by pressing Enter at the end of the preceding paragraph.

• Marked as answer by omo_5 Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:31 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

What did the document look like in your Print preview?

I have tested in my machine and both converting to PDF and the print preview show me a good result.

I would recomemnd you start Word in safe mode(Hold "Ctrl" key and click into the program), create a new blank document and copy some of the contents to check the issue.

If the issue persisits, do a repair for your Office suites in Control panel>Program and features>Office>Change>Repair

Best regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Dear Mr. Wang, 

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Regarding the print preview, yes the numbers in cross reference in the page header switch to 0 in the print preview as well.

And when going back to editing the document (exiting the print preview), I just click undo and the numbers appear correctly. Unfortunately when I try to do that again they go to 0.

For the safe mode, thanks a lot for suggesting that, I'll try it soon.

While for the repair, actually I did install Office 2013 and tried to save to PDF from there, and numbers switched to 0, after that I had due to other issue I had to repair Office 2013 and it is still the same (numbers go to 0).

Thanks again for your kind reply and time.

I'll update as soon as I try the safe mode.

Best regards,

Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Printing may force an update of the cross-references. If you update a cross-reference field manually (select the cross-reference and press F9), then what happens?

If it updates to zero, something has happened with the reference source.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:21 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TylorWang Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:54 AM
    Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:14 PM
  • If it turns out that the cross-references are in fact incorrect, you will have to recreate them.

For future reference, note that Word creates cross-references by enclosing the referenced paragraph in a hidden bookmark. If you add content, or press Enter, at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, the bookmark will expand to include more text (and/or more paragraphs). To work around this limitation, always add content by pressing Enter at the end of the preceding paragraph.

• Marked as answer by omo_5 Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:31 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2013 6:37 PM