none
Unable to uninstall Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 and am unable to uninstall Project 2010.  Following various different links I always end up with the Fix it Solution 50450, which has indeed removed office 2010 from my pc but doesn't help me get rid of project professional 2010. I have had 6 reboots.

I have tried as the local administrator and in safe mode but when I click on uninstall in add/ remove programs nothing happens, other programs will uninstall fine.

If I re run the setup.exe for project professional I am prompted to remove / repair / change licence key etc but ecah option fails saying an error has been encountered.

The event viewer says "the setup controller has encountered a problem during install"

If have tried the msconfig option as mention in article 929135, which didn't work either

Anyone got any idea's please?

• Moved by Ben Howard [MVP]MVP, Moderator Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:22 PM Project client question (From:Project Server - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• Catherine,

People who hang out here spend more of their time on working with Project for help with Project Management.  My hunch is that  you'll get better advice if you ask people on forums more focused on Windows 7 system administration.

(What I'd probably do if faced with this to try to find a way to simply ignore the issue. Disk space so cheap it would not matter to me.  Next best, reinstall Project which would have the effect of putting everything back into proper place, then immediately un-install with hope that the uninstall program would perform better since it's working with a fresh install. If that does not work and the need still there, then reformat the disk and simply reinstall Windows plus everything else needed.  The last is indeed brute force, but should be quick, it is guaranteed to work, and there is no messing around trying to solve unsolvable problems. Further, something is messed up with Windows (probably) on the computer and a fresh install will probably make it all better.)

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:24 AM