none
Group Policy settings seem to have disappeared!?!

Question

• I was updating a few reg edits in GP and noticed some settings seemed to be missing, but didn't think anything of it.  But after forcing policy on an end user device I noticed that several of our settings have disappeared!

It looks like anything that is a standard option for controlling Windows is just gone (Images below).  However, registry settings are still there, as are settings for managing Google Chrome.  But settings for Office, and Windows are gone.

I have tried reinstalling the MSIs for win7 and win10, and they show as being able to be repaired or uninstalled, but the options are still not showing up in GP Management.

Any thoughts?

• Edited by CaedenV Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 6:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please ensure you do not have a View filter applied.  View > Filter options...

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:01 PM
  • Hi,
    What version is the operating system for domain controller? You could try downloading the Administrative Templates (ADMX) based on the system version
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=48257
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=6243
    And put them in the same PolicyDefinitions folder in the SYSVOL\domainname\Policies location, and restart GPMC to see if the options are back.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by CaedenV Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:31 AM
  • are you getting any kind of error message for windows 7 clients?

please share the windows 7 bit 32 or 64.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia
    Please verify the answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 9:48 AM
  • checked that; no filter applied, and it looks the same on all 3 of my DCs
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:23 PM
  • No error messages, but policies like the desktop background and other obvious things are going away as policy updates across the domain and users restart their computers.

It is a mixed network of win7 32 and 64bit, win8 32bit, and win10 32bit and 64bit, but most machines are win7 of one flavor or another.

Quite certain it is a server issue and not an end-user issue as the options are straight-up missing on the server.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:28 PM
  • All 3 DCs are running Server 2012r2 and are fully up to date as of last week.  I rebuilt them last Spring, and for the most part I have had very few issues with them.  This is the first big problem I have had (after moving everything from server 2003/8... that was a process lol)

I installed those yesterday and nothing seemed to come back, but they were MSI files that I ran (no admx files to move into the folder... I am assuming that is what the MSIs were supposed to do).  But the only ADMX files in the folder are the Google Chrome ones that I installed a bit over a week ago.

I'll figure out how to extract the ADMX files from the MSI and try to do it manually and get back to you.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:32 PM
  • > assuming that is what the MSIs were supposed to do).  But the only ADMX
    > files in the folder are the Google Chrome ones that I installed a bit
    > over a week ago.

Which folder are you talking about?

> I'll figure out how to extract the ADMX files from the MSI and try to do
    > it manually and get back to you.

I'd suggest to using a central store. The windows admx can be downloaded
    at MSFT.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 2:35 PM
  • Ok, my bad

I installed the win10 MSI for the ADMX files a few weeks ago and when I installed it the options automatically appeared in GP.  I didn't realize that it installs to Program Files and you then need to copy the files over to the central store.

After doing that it all came back... and I backed everything up after fixing my settings.

Now I am not sure what I am more confused about; why the options ever appeared in GP because I didn't copy them to the central store, or why they were there and disappeared seemingly at random.

Either way, it is working normally again now, so thank you for the help!  I really appreciate it!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate you for marking the answer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 1:40 AM