Delegation of AD RMS Templates to some users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have question regarding delegation of AD RMS template to soneone.

We have Local group on AD RMS Server "AD RMS Template Administrators" and we can add AD Security group to it and users in that security group can manage AD RMS Templates. But in order to acheive this user will need to login to the server and perform the task of modifying templates.

We can not allow user to lgin to the server and manage templates. Do we have any client through which user from his/her PC can manage these templates?

Also, Is it possible to extract user list with role information on Templates automatically or manually? We can see using view rights summary but i want to export the list.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:27 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the late response, I've been kind of busy these days.

Thanks a lot. So, we will not be able to install on any client OS. Microsoft doesn't have any client app to run this?

You can install RSAT-RMS on another server machine and let the admins manage RMS from there. Unfortunately I do not know about any RMS management tool on client side. Perhaps powershell would do ... (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221079(WS.10).aspx), though I guess it also has to be run from server environment.

I have one more option in mind, but let me check if it works first. I'll let you know if it is working.

Thanks a lot. So, we will not be able to install on any client OS. Microsoft doesn't have any client app to run this?

Also, do you know how to extract user list with role information on Templates. I can see the list using view rights summary but no options to dump the list of users. Any command line or script?

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221091(WS.10).aspx for example.

HTH

Martin Rublik

• Marked as answer by V-2sahs Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• Can anyone help on this?
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi, I have question regarding delegation of AD RMS template to soneone.

We have Local group on AD RMS Server "AD RMS Template Administrators" and we can add AD Security group to it and users in that security group can manage AD RMS Templates. But in order to acheive this user will need to login to the server and perform the task of modifying templates.

We can not allow user to lgin to the server and manage templates. Do we have any client through which user from his/her PC can manage these templates?

You can install RMS administration console on another server and manage from there. In order to install RMS administration console run:

ServerManagerCmd.exe -install RSAT-RMS

AFAIK unfortunately it is not possible to install RSAT-RMS on a workstation.

HTH

Martin

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Also, do you know how to extract user list with role information on Templates. I can see the list using view rights summary but no options to dump the list of users. Any command line or script?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Anyone any update on this?
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Sorry for the late response, I've been kind of busy these days.

You can install RSAT-RMS on another server machine and let the admins manage RMS from there. Unfortunately I do not know about any RMS management tool on client side. Perhaps powershell would do ... (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221079(WS.10).aspx), though I guess it also has to be run from server environment.

I have one more option in mind, but let me check if it works first. I'll let you know if it is working.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee221091(WS.10).aspx for example.

HTH

Martin Rublik

• Marked as answer by V-2sahs Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:52 AM
  • I have one more option in mind, but let me check if it works first. I'll let you know if it is working.

Unfortunately I could not make it work from a client OS. Looks like you have to stick to a server OS in order to manage RMS.

Regards

Martin Rublik

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Thank you MArtin, This was perfect.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:24 AM