none
Granting Multiple Users Full Access to a Shared Mailbox via PowerShell Only Adds the Last User RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm trying to grant multiple users full access to a shared mailbox using an array in PowerShell, but for some reason it's only adding the last user in the array. I tried this with two different arrays containing all different accounts. What am I doing wrong? It works just fine when I do the same thing for Send As permissions using Add-ADPermission.

Here's the commands I ran (edited for privacy):

[PS] C:\>$users = @("User1","User2","User3")
    [PS] C:\>$users | % {Add-MailboxPermission "Shared Mailbox" -User $_ -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All}

Identity             User                 AccessRights                                                IsInherited Deny
    --------             ----                 ------------                                                ----------- ----
    Domain.com\Shared... Domain\User1         {FullAccess}                                                False       False
    Domain.com\Shared... Domain\User2         {FullAccess}                                                False       False
    Domain.com\Shared... Domain\User3         {FullAccess}                                                False       False

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxPermission "Shared Mailbox"

Identity             User                 AccessRights                                                IsInherited Deny
    --------             ----                 ------------                                                ----------- ----
    Domain.com\Shared... NT AUTHORITY\SELF    {FullAccess, ExternalAccount, ReadPermission}               False       False
    Domain.com\Shared... Domain\User3         {FullAccess}                                                False       False

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I test your command and it works fine.

Please try to remove all permissions on shared mailbox for User1, User2 and User3. Then re-add the permission.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 16, 2016 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I test your command and it works fine.

Please try to remove all permissions on shared mailbox for User1, User2 and User3. Then re-add the permission.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Lynn-Li Monday, May 16, 2016 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 2:38 AM
  • I am looking for an answer to this as well. I used the same commands as OP and got the same result. Only the last user is added.
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:10 PM
  • I tried doing the same but manually through EMC. Exact problem occurs. The shared mailbox was created 1 hour prior.

I have a feeling this problem has to do with the fact that the mailbox hasn't fully replicated across all our Exchange servers. 

So, either the get-mailboxpermission cmdlet is just not pulling everyone just yet or only the last user has been added.

Will update everyone..

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:35 PM
  • I tried doing the same but manually through EMC. Exact problem occurs. The shared mailbox was created 1 hour prior.

I have a feeling this problem has to do with the fact that the mailbox hasn't fully replicated across all our Exchange servers. 

So, either the get-mailboxpermission cmdlet is just not pulling everyone just yet or only the last user has been added.

Will update everyone..

Today morning, looks like the mailbox was fully replicated with all default permissions applied. I repeated same steps of OP and all listed users were given full access.

Explanation of the delay could be Simon Butler's comment in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/7868983a-c183-4566-b345-891710c83273/is-there-a-replication-delay-between-exchange-2010-and-active-directory?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

*Note: Please excuse as I am just learning about Exchange and may be using the incorrect terminology when explaining.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:13 PM